Thread: Please comment on our new PSA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the other hand.... You have different fingers

Please comment on our new PSA

We are experimenting with producing a series of public service messages that we will be putting up on Youtube, blogs, and various other places.

This first one was shot with the help of our exclusive model Jesse, who is now a social worker helping underprivileged and at-risk youth. It's still a somewhat rough cut; we may add some links to resources and other things.

http://www.18weststudios.com/psa/

We also have another version that promotes one of Jesse's videos (where we're giving a contribution to HIV research for every copy sold) but that one will probably be of more limited release.

I'd like your honest opinions on it... the setting, the editing, the audio, Jesse's performance, and the effectiveness of the message conveyed.

I'd also like ideas and suggestions on where we could distribute it, or other things that should be included.

I realize that the message of the PSA is in conflict with the viewpoint of some of the regulars here and I'm not trying to start another philosophy controversy or flame war. We understand and respect the differing viewpoints of others. We are just following our hearts with this one.

We're also open for suggestions on future PSAs that could be helpful for our collective customers, members and community. We have quite a number of models who are willing to do them.

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Jesse could be in a PSA about how much he loves clubbing baby seals with synthetic bats made from Middle East fossil fuels and I'd be all for it.

But seriously, I liked that it was short. With the setting being nothing more than his sitting there talking, any longer and it woulda lost me. Quick and to the point is good. I think he did have a "verbal typo"? Saying "purching" instead of "purchasing" about 4-5 of the way through.

I'd definitely consider throwing in a link to an informational website or something like that, as you'd mentioned. Maybe even creating such a thing on your site? So that the floating boyfunk.com URL on the screen in back doesn't look so wierd ("Is this a PSA or shameless plug?!" asked Mr. Cynical Viewerman).

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

Quote Originally Posted by CorbinFisher_BD View Post
    Jesse could be in a PSA about how much he loves clubbing baby seals with synthetic bats made from Middle East fossil fuels and I'd be all for it.
    Yeah, well... I sorta know how you feel about Jesse... and so does he, I told him when he was here in December.

I think he did have a "verbal typo"? Saying "purching" instead of "purchasing" about 4-5 of the way through.
    There's that and a couple of other oddities that I think we have to correct with a final edit. There are about 9 takes of that PSA, some of which were near perfect as single camera shoots, so we have some material to play with.

Maybe even creating such a thing on your site? So that the floating boyfunk.com URL on the screen in back doesn't look so wierd ("Is this a PSA or shameless plug?!" asked Mr. Cynical Viewerman).[/QUOTE]

That's a really good point which I sorta tuned out to. We were going to turn of the monitor for the noncommercial one, but forgot to do it. I do think it would come across as rather crass the way it is, but our new editor guy is pretty magical with what he can do with Premiere, so maybe he can make it go away.

Thanks for the input!

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Yeah, well... I sorta know how you feel about Jesse... and so does he, I told him when he was here in December.
    Tell him I adore his hair. If he ever gets it cut, I will cut the stylist with a shiv!!!

Most of all with the PSA, though, I think that so long as Jesse or whatever other models you might have make one come across as genuine and speaking from the heart, it'll look fine. No editing or graphics or text or camera angles can make up for that. So the key is getting guys like Jesse who can speak well and look comfortable. Not someone who is all stiff and obviously reading from cue cards or sounding like a robot or something. Natural, sincere and genuine and you're good to go. IMHO. Oh, and Jesse. Should be illegal for guys to be that attractive.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
    It's a fantastic idea. If i had one major criticism, it would be the background. It's a very honest, to-the-point PSA and I like the "honesty" of being at a desk in an office-like setting, but at the same time it also looks cold and a bit uninteresting. Maybe if, for example, you did it with Jesse sitting on the edge of a bed.. it's attention-catching (hot boy on bed) and relevant to the message...

$0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    It's a fantastic idea. If i had one major criticism, it would be the background. It's a very honest, to-the-point PSA and I like the "honesty" of being at a desk in an office-like setting, but at the same time it also looks cold and a bit uninteresting. Maybe if, for example, you did it with Jesse sitting on the edge of a bed.. it's attention-catching (hot boy on bed) and relevant to the message...

$0.02
    That's a great suggestion! We plan to do more of these, so perhaps we'll have a couple of the guys do one as they start a scene or something.

Jesse's sort of unique because he is actually working in the field and is really passionate about it, and so we plan on getting a bunch more PSA material with him the next time he visits.