Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Room in the Inn

No Room in the Inn

Updated: 08:03 AM EDT
    Straight Couples Turned Away From Key West Hotel

KEY WEST, Fla. (April 16) - Three heterosexual couples said they were turned away from a hotel in this gay-friendly tourist spot because of their sexual orientation.

The six were vacationing with a gay couple and had reservations at a hotel called Big Ruby's when the three straight couples were turned away.

"The manager literally said, 'We don't want you here,"' said Jim Pirih, who was vacationing with his partner and straight friends.

The group was already settled in their rooms Wednesday when the manager told the straight couples they would have to leave, citing a policy of not allowing heterosexuals on the property, Pirih said.

"He said he had to appeal to the majority, and the majority of guests wouldn't want straight people there," Pirih said.

The six were allowed to stay one night but had to check out Thursday morning, Pirih said.

Big Ruby's did not immediately return a phone message Friday.

Key West has a city ordinance that prohibits discrimination by sexual orientation in housing and lodging. Violators can face a civil citation and be fined up to $500.

Scott Fraser, executive director of the Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Key West, said any discrimination based on sexual orientation is wrong.

"Whether it's a couple turned away from a place of business because they're gay, or a straight couple refused admittance because it's a gay facility, socially and legally that's discrimination and equally as unacceptable," Fraser said Friday.

so this manager wants to fight prejudice with more prejudice. brilliant! he not only made himself - and some will perceive he represented his community - seem like a dick, he broke the law.

good job!

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    (shaking head)

This is probably the first time I've seen something like this. It's a shame this shouldn't be an eye for an eye situation.

I went to a gay B&B several years ago and a couple of my friends who went with us happen to be straight. I jokingly asked the manager if he would let THEM in. In a loud and happy voice he said, "Honey don't be a sassy bitch! We love everyone!"

It's still a joke between us. When I'm trying to be funny my buddy Donna will tell me not to be a sassy bitch.

I couldn't imagine what I'd do if he had said No.

GA

it's not the first time i've heard of something like this - or seen it happen :-(

i've been the victim of this myself, and ironically i was with my gay male buddy. needless to say, we weren't a couple, but i guess to someone who thinks all men and women who are together MUST be a couple, it seemed like it.

i guess no group is immune from prejudice.

MacDaddy
    I don't know, I agree with him... who the hell wants straight koodies in the bedding? I mean you just might catch the 'straight' if you come into contact with them. Put 'em in a cage and keep 'em outside!

How the hell do you spell koodies anyway?

Originally posted by MacDaddy
    I don't know, I agree with him... who the hell wants straight koodies in the bedding? I mean you just might catch the 'straight' if you come into contact with them. Put 'em in a cage and keep 'em outside!

How the hell do you spell koodies anyway?
    You're horrible LOL

MacDaddy - i'm sure they bleach and wash the bedding after every use

and that would be "cooties"

AusCoding Allan
    Straight cooties or not, I think this is terrible, I am all for equality and lack of discrimination. The manager made a huge mistake in doing this and in doing so destroyed the reputation of his hotel and also that of the surrounding community gay or otherwise. I have often stayed at hotels and definitely prefer to stay at gay-friendly hotels, they are friendlier and far more helpful.

Allan

I am going to be controversial here and say that I agree with the hotel owners on this one. I have been to a lot of gay-exclusive hotels and resorts and the main selling factor is not the pool or the rooms, its the fact that they are gay exclusive. If I were to book a room and get there and find that they are not exclusive I would be pissed off and would tell everyone that I knew not to bother going there.

I also give the big thumbs up to 'gay men only' bars. There is just something about them that make them much more comfortable, and no I am not talking about sex-on-premesis stuff, I am just talking about the ability to go to a pub and have a few beers and a game of pool in an exclusive environment.

Now let the bashing begin.....

cheers,
    Luke

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I have to agree with Luke to a point.

There are certain scenarios where i would like to be with people of my own choosing whether straight or gay and in fact, i can also appreciate the hotel owners point of view i mean afterall, this is a hotel billed as 'exclusively' gay. if you had booked a vacation at that hotel to find out that it wasnt exclusively open for gay residents how would you feel knowing that you had been duped?

On the other side of though i can also appreciate the fact that segregation, in whatever context is not good for anything.

One thing that did come out of this though, the couple in question were allowed to remain guests of the hotel and it shows that even though the hotel was billed as gay only when it came down to it, they didnt discriminate based on sexual preference. How many straight owned hotels would have done that had the tables been turned?

Regards,

Lee

jhussher
    IF this story is true...

which I doubt...

it would be an extremely rare occurence...let us instead look at the MAJORITY of cases, in which a gay couple cannot adequately secure lodging or are otherwise discrimainetd against.

Or just keep your straight asses out of Key West. Are y'all mad now, that gay men now own hotels in Key West? It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun, ain't it?

I was expecting some major slams on my post, not agreements

cheers,
    Luke

luke, i think it's more complicated than that. most gay people would be very angry or sad to be kept out of a straight hotel, and that has happened a lot.

so how does the reverse not apply? do you want to be kept out of a club where a band you want to see is playing, or they have a cool theme? if not, the reverse is true.

i don't hang out at the baths, or at anonymous sex clubs. i have friends that thought it would be funny if i came - one friend worked the desk at the local baths - but i think it would be inappropriate and inconsiderate so i didn't go.

i would be very sad not to be able to go dancing with friends at a gay club. they would miss me. they are not very welcome at a lot of straight clubs, nor do i appreciate macho jerks walking up to me and saying "nice tits" all night - which is what happens at straight clubs. so we pretty much have to go to gay clubs to dance or hang out.

Originally posted by Chilihost
    I was expecting some major slams on my post, not agreements

cheers,
    Luke
    Sorry to disappoint you, Luke

While I do wish we lived in a world where everyone can be themselves, you're points are valid. Personally, I don't like to frequent places that discriminate. But I, also, understand the feeling of comfort that I get when I know I'm with my own and no one is going to cause me any grief.

In a situation as in the item Bec posted though, I would still hope we (in very general terms) would take the upper/kinder hand - again it's the ideal world I made up in my head

My best,
    Gary

lee - where does it say the couples were allowed to stay? i missed that...
    Originally posted by Lee
    One thing that did come out of this though, the couple in question were allowed to remain guests of the hotel
    perhaps private clubs can say who can come in, but it seems to me that no other place should have a say on who can come in - just in the code of conduct appropriate to their establishment.