Thread: Something I Dont Understand...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Something I Dont Understand...

Whats with all the fuss lately about donations being made by companies when we buy one of their products to people in Africa with AIDs?

Dont get me wrong, i understand that charitable donations are needed but, when you consider a couple of years ago everyone was up in arms over Comic Relief funds going to Africa instead of to the Katrina victims it kind of makes you wonder.

What would happen if say, these donations were sent to charities dealing with AIDs in America and why is there no uproar over this whole AIDs in Africa thing like there was over the Katrina/Comic Relief stuff?

I mean yeah, Africa has a huge AIDs problem, but what message are we sending to those in America with AIDs? At least if the money stays in the US we have a much higher chance of finding a cure than some third world country who's idea of medical advances is making sure the next medical aid truck gets through.

When is it okay to stop charitable funds leaving the States (even though that has ALWAYS been the reason behid Comic Relief) and when is it okay to send millions of dollars in charitable funds out of the US?

Regards,

Lee

marcjacob
    I guess because America is a filthy rich country and Africa is piss poor and allways has been. Katrina is different as it was a major disaster that made America look like a third world country for the time when it happened. By and large people are hopefully inteligent enough to know that there is alot of money to deal with American AIDs whereas people are going to die in Africa because they dont have as little as $10 to buy medicine that should save them.

maxpower
    Well I can see this, Africa has a HIV rate that is totally out of control while the USA rate has been dropping for years. Think sending money to Africa with no possible retune other than the humanitarian effort itself shows true compassion and that’s RARE

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Oh i understand the whole 'charity' aspect of it, i just dont understand why we're sending money over to Africa when shit like this is a common occurence over there..

Nelson Chamisa, a spokesman for the Tsvangirai MDC, says the money to be spent is enough for six months supply of HIV/AIDS drugs and could improve the salaries of doctors, teachers and nurses who are on strike.
    http://www.swradioafrica.com/news210...hday210207.htm

Regards,

Lee

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Oh i understand the whole 'charity' aspect of it, i just dont understand why we're sending money over to Africa when shit like this is a common occurence over there..

http://www.swradioafrica.com/news210...hday210207.htm

Regards,

Lee
    OMG nornaly I am the one that is known for putting my foot in my mouth :footmouth:

If you want to look at it as a solely humanitarian effort, then I am sure the money would save many more people in Africa than the same money would save here. So if your looking to save the most lives or extend the most lives with the money Africa is not a bad place to start

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    there always seem to be so many misconceptions about the "donating to charitable cause" hook when selling goods - most companies state that they are "giving a portion of their earnings" or "all of the earnings in one day of sales" - problem is that we never really know what the percentage is or what a "real" day's earnings are

in short, its a hook, using a cause such as AIDS to sell merchandise - unfortunately, we don't know where the funds will really end up and who will be managing the funds in the end

chances have it that the intended beneficiaries will not receive the necessary funds

HOWEVER - this does shed light on the pandemic that faces Africa - and if you consider the economic impact the AIDS crisis is having on the world, you will soon start to realize the necessity of education and treatment alternatives

AIDS may now be today's "charity du jour" - let's try to make it history - after all, AIDS is now preventable

blumblumshub
    From my own point of view it depends on how much money actually goes to what it's supposed to, and how much is tied up in admin, etc.

I think the world is shrinking in most ways. If Africa sees that the more wealthy countries are willing to give them help it can only be good for world relations, and let's face it we are in need of all the good relations we can get.

Personally though, I would like to see our countries helping themselves (that would be USA and UK really) and giving any surplus to other countries. Charity beginning at home, and all that.

Don't see what good it would do to make a fuss about money going elsewhere. Would just make people look mean-spirited, really.
    Blum