Thread: Importing Data - Programmers Which Is Better?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Importing Data - Programmers Which Is Better?

I was wondering if it would be better (or no difference at all) using a .csv or .xls format to import data in to a MySQL database?

Do any of the programmers we have on GWW know if one method is better than the other, or if its just personal preference?

Regards,

Lee

importing data is done so rarely, usually once when you set up the database....so I don't think it really matters.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Really shouldn't matter at all. If you're going to be doing a bunch of data importation and manipulation with MySQL, check out Premiumsoft Navicat (www.navicat.com). It is hands down the BEST tool to create, manipulate, import, and modify MySQL databases. I'm not a programmer, and I've used Navicat a bunch of times to import and export data to and from MySQL databases. Comparing Navicat to PHPMyAdmin is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a bicycle.

I think they have a 30 day trial which is fully functional, so you might want to check it out.

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    assuming your mySQL database is going to be on a UNIX/Linux type system, i suggest exporting your data into "tab delimited" text format.

UNIX/Linux systems can't read .xls that easily, the programmer would probably export it into a text file anyhow.

.csv would work, but depending on what kind of data you have, i've had troubles with data such as: "Houston, TX" or "Mr. John Doe, Jr."
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com