Thread: site update question

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar

site update question

I am wondering, when doing updates for a paysite, would a member feel "ripped off" if i offered them a picture set as an update, say with 100-150 to even 200 pictures, then turned around 2 weeks later and updated with a video file from the same exact shoot?

Do photo sets even count as sets anymore, or are they just a bonus that acts more as filler content?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We do photo sets as "interim" updates... we put them up as special features in between full updates. On Boyfunk, generally we put up stills, video, and scaps at the same time, so the still set updates are generally "fill ins" to older sets.

I think you could get away with it once in a while but if you did it regularly, people would probably not be pleased.

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    We do photo sets as "interim" updates... we put them up as special features in between full updates. On Boyfunk, generally we put up stills, video, and scaps at the same time, so the still set updates are generally "fill ins" to older sets.

I think you could get away with it once in a while but if you did it regularly, people would probably not be pleased.
    Yeah, i agree here, I didn't think they carried enough weight to be a fully update... what would you think their value to members is... you think like 4 photos sets would carry the same weight as 1 video?

marcjacob
    I wouldnt mind pics first then video, the other way round would kind of suck imo.

although i generally assign a pic set 1/4 the weight of a video when i'm scoring reviews - unless it's a pic specific site - it doesn't add up that way for updates. you could probably put up 10 pic sets for an update and most guys would want to know where the video is because in most cases, they joined for the videos and pics don't talk or move.

look at it like this - if you turned on the tv to watch your favorite sitcom and they had 30 still pic sets, how happy would you be?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Or if you update frequently, say a new photoset three times a week and a video once a week, that would keep people coming back, even if it's just to see what is going to be added next.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Xstr8guy
    Great topic Dean!

I think it depends on a number of different factors...

The niche has a lot to do with it. If it's a unique or rare niche, ANY content will be appreciated by the members.

If it's a type of site where members want to linger on an image, i.e. highly styled shoots, especially hot models, closeup action, etc. Then photo content should carry more weight and be acceptable as an update.

If you feature quality photography on the tour... make it an important selling point, members may join for that reason alone. As a surfer, I personally prefer photos of specific models and I'm disappointed when I join a site and think I'm going to see great images and all I get is a 320x240 video and some low-quality screecaps of a particular model. Or even worse, he's nowhere to be found!

With our site, Uknakedmen, we do focus on photogaphy as Jonno is one of the best photographers in the business. We originally started by focusing on photography but have evolved to be more video oriented. We have found that most members do want both movies and videos of everything.

Currently, we are updating 3 times per week... 2 photosets and 1 movie. Generally the photo updates are unique... models not featured in a video, solo glamour photos of models that appear in a hardcore video or models featured in videos but in a different setting.

We also usually have high-quality photos shot during the video shoot to accompany video updates as well but they are generally featured as an extra update only to members. Screencaps are STRICTLY bonus material and down-played as much as possible.

Essentially we update the tour 3 times per week but the members may see 5 updates per week (1 video, 3 HQ photosets, 1 screencap gallery).

Imo, frequent updates are imperative in this competitive market. Videos are more costly to produce or license but if you bombard members with other forms of entertainment, you should hopefully be able to keep them happy.

Xstr8guy
    bumping before this topic gets lost... great question

Btw, I renamed the title of the thread to make it more representative of the question asked. I hope you don't mind Dean.