Thread: DVD Content Encoding Question - Which Format?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

DVD Content Encoding Question - Which Format?

Okay so im currently gettin a bunch of DVDs encoded in to iPod format and one other format however, im wondering what the best choice to make for this 'other' format is going to be?

For example, if i got .wmv files, do they lend themselves to easier future encoding in to .mpg, .rm, .swf formats etc?

Which movie format would you go with in terms of encoding and using that format to re-encode the titles in to alternate formats?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I believe that AVI on PC and hi-res Quicktime on Mac are the most "lossless" formats.

MPEG is a higher compression format that stores full frames every so many and then changes to the frames, and I suspect that Real is the same way.

Not sure about Windows Media; I know it's a very high compression format at lower bitrates, but not sure about in higher resolution. And I'd stay away from SWF or FLV as a source media format.

Okay you just confused the hell out of me haha

AVI, is that a format most surfers/members can view without additional plugins and stuff?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay you just confused the hell out of me haha

AVI, is that a format most surfers/members can view without additional plugins and stuff?

Regards,

Lee
    OH!!

I thought you wanted a format you could use as a master format to use in the future to reencode to other formats, in which case you'd want the most lossless format. You'd never use AVI for surfers, files would be gigantic. But it would be the best to hold onto to use to encode in other formats in the future.

For surfers, I would go, roughly in order of preference,

- Flash video (flv), about 90% of all computers can view it. But not quite as good quality as competing codecs for the same relative size.

- Windows Media (any Windows box can view it)

- H.264 (new Quicktime codec gaining a lot of popularity)

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I thought you wanted a format you could use as a master format to use in the future to reencode to other formats, in which case you'd want the most lossless format.
    Chip, that is what im after but, if at all possible, id also like it to be a format that i can use for surfers also (for the master format).

Regards,

Lee