Thread: Can Someone Explain This 'Skype' Thing To Me In Laymans Terms Please?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? Can Someone Explain This 'Skype' Thing To Me In Laymans Terms Please?

Im not all that tech savvy when it comes to this new stuff, if i understand correctly, its basically a 'phone' that i can use via my laptop for free, is that right?

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    Skype is a Voice over IP service. Instead of making telephone calls over the "Plain Old Telephone Service," you are using the Internet to call people.

In a very interesting move, eBay purchased Sype for several billions in 2005. People are still wondering why and where that will lead.

Since Skype is on the computer, there are Skype communities and forums. It essentially taps people who want to sell or buy things on eBay to use the telephone.

Also, eBay also owns 25% of Craigslist. This ultimately can integrate people buying/selling things with social networking Internet communities and telephone communications.

It's very neat to think about. eBay is a company that constantly impresses me.

Steve

desslock
    Also, unfortunately you will not be able to use Skype with your standard issue rotary telephone.

Basically, you use a headset to talk to anyone else that has a skype account anywhere in the world for free. You can also use it to call someone that doesn't have a skype account, but I believe you pay for that option. It's like epassporte where you buy/load a bulk of time. Rates were pretty cheap last time I checked it out.

I've an account and have talked with guys in Australia, Hong Kong, Thailand, etc - at no cost and the connections were quite good.

samebb
    You dont "have" to use a headset.

You can purchase Skype VOIP telephones, that you can place anywhere in your house, or more than one. With this, you can use it as a standard landline account, with a bunch of benifits.

If you are in Africa, you can buy a US telephone number in any area code you like. Yes, you can get a bevely hills telephone number, or maybe you want a London UK (0208) number. When you do this its not just for looks.

If you are in africa and you make lots of calls to the USA, which would be costly, skype allows you to buy a telephone number (i think its about $10 for 3 months) in the USA and ONLY PAY local rates in the US.

Its amazing!

For instance.

I own a USA telephone number purchased through skype, even thought i live in the United Kingdom. If i make a call using my skype out number to say CCBILL, i ONLY pay US rates, not international. Saves me a lot of money.

What you also have to remember is skype only charge like 0.10c a minute

On a further note, if you have a skype phone in your house to recieve calls through your skype acconnt, IF somebody on your skype contact list calls you, you can pic that up on your smart little cordless phone and walk around your house having a 100% free convo with your buddy.

Skype is great, and is getting bigger. Jump in asap Lee, you wont regret it :shorthair:

I run my entire office off VOIP.

nightowl
    skype is cool

blumblumshub
    Layman's terms: It's like ICQ for the gob!

Mac17
    Skype rocks if you get a good connection. I use it all the time and it works reasonably good, and if you need to call outside the US it can save you a lots of $$.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Skype is a microwave.

If you have never used one, you wonder what everybody is raving about.

Once you have used it, you will never want to be without it.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

samebb
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw View Post
    Skype is a microwave.

If you have never used one, you wonder what everybody is raving about.

Once you have used it, you will never want to be without it.
    Couldnt have put it better myself :shock: