Thread: HD Video?

HD Video?

Ok, so I'm doing a gig for a friend editing content.

I got the raw tapes, and they're shot in HD (not sure why, and even the client was confused as to why they'd shoot what is essentially an amatuer-styled sites's content in HD).

Is anyone aware of a way to transfer an HD tape to regular DV so I can read it? I'm not sure anyone I know has the equiptment to do that.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Making Pain Pay!
    Are you using Final Cut Pro?

If so, just borrow the camera he shot it with, and use the firewire connection on the camera to load it to your computer. Then you can edit it and output it however you want. Other than that, no idea. Sorry.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

if he was on the west coast and i knew him, it would be viable.

but he's not.

And I don't know him.

I think I may be screw-ed.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Jason,

If it's HDV, you'll have to have an HDV camera which can then copy the content to the local computer. Once you've done that, you should be able to downrez it and output it as a standard .AVI or .MOV.

HDV uses a highly compressed MPEG format and unlike DV, does not store complete individual frames, it stores a key frame and then the changes to that frame. If you convert it to regular DV, my understanding is that it will then reassemble the file with each individual frame intact.

But it sounds like your problem is in being able to read the HDV tape in the first place. Maybe you can put a posting on Craigslist and borrow somebody's HDV camcorder for an hour or two.