Thread: Help! Hijacked??

Help! Hijacked??

Any clue what i've picked up that when i go to shut down my computer while logged onto internet i'm getting the message - "shutting down now will cancel user //computer or user //danscomputer connection, do you wish to proceed?"

I've run Adaware and Hijacker - and don't see anything unusual - and did clean up the coolwebsearch crap - again.

BDBionic
    is that the exact text of the message received?

it's pretty close Brian - give or take a word. First time was the //computer was the connector and second time was the //danscomputer

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Hmm...

Can honestly say i have never heard of that before.

Are you running behind a firewall btw?

Regards,

Lee

Yes, I have a firewall, plus McCafee, plus adaware plus Hijacker - gawd ... this is buggin me- because it's saying by shutting down i'm going to disconnect so-and-so -- it pops up in a grey box just like any other your computer gives you when it wants instructions.

BDBionic
    if you could try and get the exact text word for word I'll look it up and see if i can find anything

are you running a home network, it looks like a windows "net use", ie, someone is networking into your computer via a windows network. Go to a command prompt and type "net use" to see the computers that are attached to you via windows networking.

If you are not running a local network, the best thing to do is to stop your server service by going to control panel -> services and selecting the entry called server, then stop the service and force it to manual start (you do this differently depending on the version of windows you are running)

Man, its been ages since I have dealt with windows networks, but I am still officially an MCSE ....if you need any more help hop on ICQ and we can troubleshoot it together.

cheers,
    Luke
    Last edited by Chilihost; 04-20-2004 at 12:52 AM.

Bell
    I didn't read this till late late monday night...

went out on the net to try to find help for you...

after weeding through 20 pages of search results...
    the only thing that I have for you to possibly check out
    is this:

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/0...id=126&tid=172

let us know what happens and what you find out...

best of luck to you...

~Bell

p.s. if you copy pasted html from somewhere on the net
    and then used it on a page in transition and uploaded that
    via ftp... it may have had some invisible coding that
    opened your door...

thanks everyone - I tried shutting down and didn't get the message so i don't know if I got it out or if someone wasn't tappin in at that moment -- if the message pops up again, I'll write down the exact words.

I run DSL Luke - but the network part isn't hooked up right now. I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and just go ahead and format a new hard drive i picked up and start over.... arrrrghhhhh!