Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance

iamkathi

I Wonder? Pet Insurance

ok, so I know this is not industry related. But, I knew I could ask you folks anything right?

My puppy, a 7 yr old Boston Terrior, has been sick. He has been to the vet several times over the past couple of months and is now ok. But, the vet bills were at or around $3500.00. NOW... my husband suggests we look into pet insurance.( sort of like closing the barn door after the cow gets out)

Has anyone ever used pet insurance? Anyone had good or bad experiences with it?

kathi

Amber C
    I didn't even know there was such a thing. I have 3 puppies and 4 cats....I would be down for some pet insurance if it really exists.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Kathi,

Not sure if they have the same type of deal in the US but in England they have a system that lets you insure your animals that works quite well, from what i recall we had to pay the equivalent of $50 a month for our Golden Lab and we were glad that we did because after a couple of years he needed to go to the veterinarians on a regular basis.

Where we would have been charged the equivalent of thousands of dollars we eneded up paying something like the first $200 and the rest the insurance covered :thumbsup:

Well worth getting IMHO treat your pets just like any other family member, with the exception that generally speaking, they cost a hell of a lot more health wise than we do

Your local humane society will probably have a heap of recommendations for pet insurance too so give them a call and see what they say

Regards,

Lee

Jake
    it is relatively inexpensive and does help. I had a sheep dog that had hip displasia(sp) cost in the end was 7 grand. After that anything that breathes in my house is going to be insured!

RainGurl
    i have pet insurance on both of my pups and i highly suggest it. if you have a specific vet you like, i would talk to him/her and see what pet insurance they take. otherwise, look into the options offered in your area.

Amber C
    Thanks Rainey. I never thought to ask the Vet about pet insurance......you'd think she would have brought it up after the many times all of our animals have been in her office. :curtain: But, I do love my Vet, now if she would only get rid of those rude ass receptionists in her office I would be all set.......:cop:

Jason
    The vet doesn't always bring it up because most of the time they get less from the insurance company than they can squeeze out of you. It is a very good idea though if you have a pet that could live a long time and cost a lot of money. Our dog is almost 14 (half lab/half golden retriever) so she's actually on her way out :crybaby:

But if we get another dog after she goes we'll most likely insure it.

Poppy
    Kathi,

I don't have knowledge on this subject, but I do hope your puppy gets better.

Poppy

AusCoding Allan
    Hey,

We have this fantastic deal where it actually comes with your home and contents policy in Aus. Maybe some of your insurers do this too.

Cheers,

Allan

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    That's great Oz I'm going to check that out.

Kathi - I'm so sorry to hear you're pup has been sick. I had insurance for my last dog, Magic. And it came in handy. I can not remember the name of the company, I will try to find the name for you. I save everything. It was good to have for those 'when you least expect it situation' for us - like jumping through a window to follow my dad... eating a lightbulb... etc etc etc.

Hugs,
    GA

Kath
    Hey Kathi -

Hope your pup gets better. We have pet insurance on 3 of our cats and on our puppy too. It was very helpful many times. One of our cats - when she was a baby - tested positive for FIV. The insurance covered more than half the cost of the treatments. Also our pup cut up his legs bad one time when he got loose from the backyard. It covered the medical costs (including vet bill!) 100%.

We got our insurance through our vet's office and it's been the best investment ever. We love our vet too - but his receiptionists are rude as well. Maybe it goes with the territory?

Anyway - best of luck to you and your pup. :groovy:

Kath
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    That's great Oz I'm going to check that out.

Kathi - I'm so sorry to hear you're pup has been sick. I had insurance for my last dog, Magic. And it came in handy. I can not remember the name of the company, I will try to find the name for you. I save everything. It was good to have for those 'when you least expect it situation' for us - like jumping through a window to follow my dad... eating a lightbulb... etc etc etc.

Hugs,
    GA
    A lightbulb?!?!? :bulb:

iamkathi
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We do all love our pets.

I talked to petinsurance.com and they seem to know what they are talking about. For my precious puppy, it'll run $35.00 a month.

I had one of those "Come to Jesus" conversations with him over the phone( he lives withthe hubby in Seattle, I'm in ATL) and explained how he now needs to get a J-O-B. He said he understands. He's cute, he just needs to put out some effort. He looks exactly like that one on the Zyrtek commercial and runs just as fast.

I am sure the calls will come pouring in. Until then, I suppose I'll be adding Petinsurance.com to my online banking

kathi :juggle:

She Devil
    Good luck with your pup Kathi... I should probably look into that for my bird - moluccan cockatoo. If anything happens to her her vet bills will be horribly expensive; since very few vets can treat large birds.

iamkathi
    How beautiful! I know www.petinsurance.com covers avian and exotics like ferrets, rabbits, reptiles etc...

Maybe I can get them to put me on commission in lieu of paying my puppy's premium each month. With all the webmasters I know that have pets...$$$$$ add up!