Thread: Michigan To Let Doctors Refuse To Treat Gays

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Michigan To Let Doctors Refuse To Treat Gays

(Lansing, Michigan) Doctors or other health care providers could not be disciplined or sued if they refuse to treat gay patients under legislation passed Wednesday by the Michigan House.

The bill allows health care workers to refuse service on moral, ethical or religious grounds.

The Republican dominated House passed the measure as dozens of Catholics looked on from the gallery. The Michigan Catholic Conference, which pushed for the bills, hosted a legislative day for Catholics on Wednesday at the state Capitol.

The bills now go the Senate, which also is controlled by Republicans.

The Conscientious Objector Policy Ac would allow health care providers to assert their objection within 24 hours of when they receive notice of a patient or procedure with which they don't agree. However, it would prohibit emergency treatment to be refused.

Three other three bills that could affect LGBT health care were also passed by the House Wednesday which would exempt a health insurer or health facility from providing or covering a health care procedure that violated ethical, moral or religious principles reflected in their bylaws or mission statement.

Opponents of the bills said they're worried they would allow providers to refuse service for any reason. For example, they said an emergency medical technicians could refuse to answer a call from the residence of gay couple because they don't approve of homosexuality.

Rep. Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) the first openly gay legislator in Michigan, pointed out that while the legislation prohibits racial discrimination by health care providers, it doesn't ban discrimination based on a person's sexual orientation.

"Are you telling me that a health care provider can deny me medical treatment because of my sexual orientation? I hope not," he said.

"I think it's a terrible slippery slope upon which we embark," said Rep. Jack Minore (D-Flint) before voting against the bill.

Paul A. Long, vice president for public policy for the Michigan Catholic Conference, said the bills promote the constitutional right to religious freedom.

"Individual and institutional health care providers can and should maintain their mission and their services without compromising faith-based teaching," he said in a written statement.
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/04/042204MichMed.htm

Now thats fucked up.. its a right of everybody to receive medical attention when they need it.

Lets hope a couple of gay doctors decide they dont want to treat their straight patients... that would perhaps cause the legislators to reconsider this.. it makes me so angry at these damn politicians and law makers to think they could even contemplate something like this.

Regards,

Lee

Johnny_B
    Im not familiar with U.S. laws too well, but would this not be called discrimination? It would be like doctors having the right to refuse treatment to Asians or Blacks.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Unfortunately it seems like there will only be a further increase in such laws down south especially if the current political leadership gets re elected.

I suppose the rationale is though, if nearly 60 million of their citizens have no type of health insurance what difference does it make if a few more are added to that list.

Just my opinionated 2 cents

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Jason
    so...anybody wanna come visit me? we could all go to the hospital and put up a disco ball and some go-go boys!

j/k

michigan, while geographically beautiful and breathtaking, is pretty fucked up, we all know that. however, it's still home. and as much as these things anger me, lashing out fuels the fire that is burning down my home. i live and work here to try and make my community a better place. it's a long, slow battle...and not unlike the fight of blacks for equality in this country. rome was not built in a day...but when it was done...DAMN GIRL what a place...you'll see. as long as there are people like us who are willing to strive for a better world in a rational and practical way...we'll get there. of course, sometimes the most practical course of action is to get naked and dance in an ER somewhere in downtown detroit! (omg that's a scary thought)

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    You know there is another side to this that I wonder if perhaps some of them lawmakers forgot about or maybe not. But consider this scenario, an african american comes in for treatment and the particular health care worker is one of them KKK types... all that person has to say now is well this guy is gay so I refuse to treat them.

What upsets me or worries me is that we dont see a lot of support from the other minority groups in opposing some of this radical anti gay legislation. This law now just opens a huge loophole that many bigots can use to further their own hatreds against not just us, but against any other minority.

Something to think about.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

This is appaling ... and I know for a fact that there is a HUGE portion of gays and lesbians that WORK in the health care fields! You can't walk thru a hospital, or mental health facility or a nursing home without your gaydar going into overdrive. Maybe they can rally and get someone to wake up to the total injustice of this.