Thread: What are RSS feed about then?

marcjacob

What are RSS feed about then?

I get the basic principles (i think) behind RSS. I know i can view news on my phone through it. How do adult webmasters benefit?

Im starting my first ever blog and to be honest, a but out of my deph. I was told i need rss feeds. Is that of my blog or sponsors??

kaktusan
    well, yes RSS feeds are mainly used to deliver news pretty easy and with the ability to publish those news anywhere you need with simple scripts.

Adult Webmasters use the RSS feeds mainly to easily update their blogs. So just go and find some sponsors that provide rss feeds and use them with your blog software to turn them into blog posts.

Your site should show the rss address somewhere so that viewers can subscribe and add your blog to their rss readers, or you can import your blog posts from your blog to say another one you may open in the future using a plugin like wp-autoblog for instance.

If you submit your blog to the dynamic feedlist directories like I and Luke have (www.gayxxxblogs.com www.gayblogfinder.com or www.gaysexblogs.com) we use your rss url to import your site and the directories automatically show the newest post titles linked to your blog everyday.

I read that you dived in and edited a lot out of a theme, I'm guessing you managed to delete something that looked like this from somewhere on the sidebar:

<h2>Meta</h2>
    <ul class="linklist">
    <li><a href="feed:<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" title="<?php _e('Syndicate this site using RSS'); ?>"><?php _e('<abbr title="Really Simple Syndication">RSS</abbr>'); ?></a></li>

Just adjust the ul class to whatever the theme is using in the CSS to style the links area.

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    I read that you dived in and edited a lot out of a theme, I'm guessing you managed to delete something that looked like this from somewhere on the sidebar:

<h2>Meta</h2>
    <ul class="linklist">
    <li><a href="feed:<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" title="<?php _e('Syndicate this site using RSS'); ?>"><?php _e('<abbr title="Really Simple Syndication">RSS</abbr>'); ?></a></li>

Just adjust the ul class to whatever the theme is using in the CSS to style the links area.

My first template was a major screw up deleting all sorts Ive started from scratch, but i did learn alot about how word press works! i do remember seeing that actually.

I dont want my blog auto updated by sponsor. I was told that this is bad as google will see the same text on many sites.

I have a hell of alot to learn about all this i think.

It won't be autoupdated if you don't setup a feed from a sponsor on it. That's using THEIR RSS - you also need to show RSS for your own site for surfers.

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN.
    To add to what Bec said, don't forget to ping your RSS feed at a place like http://www.pingoat.com or rpc.pingomatic.com or wherever. That will alert RSS aggregators that your blog has been updated and in theory helps your new posts get spidered more quickly (worked better before spammers abused it to hell and back).