Thread: Anyone Ever Remodelled A Bathroom?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Anyone Ever Remodelled A Bathroom?

So we decided over the weekend that since the toilet bowl cracked and needed to be replaced yesterday, we're going to remodel the guest bathroom.

However, i was wondering if anyone had any tips that we should think about before starting? I dont just want to rip everything out before having a solid idea of what is going to be needed LOL

The one thing i think we both agree on right now is that we want a glass shower area in there instead of the boxed in one we have right now so the room looks a lot lighter/open.

So, those of you who have been through this before, any advice you would care to share with us?

Regards,

Lee

Gay is the new Black
    Going through the same thing at the moment. Not a cracked toilet but a guest bathroom remodel.

Questions to have is how much of a remodel?

Are you going to replace the counter, sink, mirror, toilet (assumed), cabinets, tub (already mentioned), Floor?

Is anything going to be recycled?

What are your colors?

Adding anything that you don't already have?

We are pulling out the tub and putting in a two head shower. Floor to ceiling tile, ripping out the sink, counter and cabinets - putting in a new counter with top resting bowl sink instead of a sunken sink. So on...

Color was the longest part of the plan. Color dictates wall, tile, counter, fixture.

If you are ripping out the floor and putting in new tile/wood - tile under the cabinets. Most people just mount and tile around them. (Wood may not be good for a bathroom floor)
    Be Who You Are!

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    If you are tearing out everything, and it is a guest bath [so I assume modest size] I would suggest lining the entire room with moisture resistant sheetrock. In a small bathroom, it will not be a large additional cost but it could prevent repairs in the future. Especially in Florida!!

I have no humidity here in Phoenix so no need to worry about moisture resistant backings. In fact, it is so dry we don't even need to towel off after getting out of the shower --water just evaporates instantly.:-)
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So, those of you who have been through this before, any advice you would care to share with us?
    Yes, don't forget to bring a towel!

Definately install something like HandiBacker board for walls and floor. Offset the seams from one row to the next, so you never have 4 corners of 4 sheets meeting together. You can use this right over old vinyl style flooring without having to take it up, assuming your floor under it is in good shape and level.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    I used to do bathrooms and kitchens for a living.

Put together a list of what you want in the bathroom

Make sure you or your contactor use cement board in the shower area. Also the last tiles in the shower if not a bath tub use thin set to set those tiles. Glue will loosen up in a few years. If you are putting in steam all tiles have to be thin set in. Buy a box or two of extra tile!!!!!!!!!!

after you rip up the floor make sure the sub-floor is good then do a mud floor before you tile it.

Have you Electricians run a new line for a GIF. Hair blows use their own line, most 1200 watts. 14 gauge romax is 1400 watts max

Shop around for your granite tops, some vanities come with them all ready.

Think about radiant heat. It's awesome

What ever the contractor says add in two to three more weeks to get the job done.

What ever your budget is you will spent 15 or 25% more!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well right now, we're going to start the demolition either this weekend or next week sometimes and we're going to be completely gutting the bathroom.

Its a 14x14 bathroom but i think we've pretty much decided that we want regular tile on the floor and up the walls with an extended glass enclosed shower (the kind they have in hotels with glass all the way around except for one wall).

We're also probably going to put the vent on the inside of the shower rather than the outside to get some of the moisture out more quickly.

We start looking at showers and stuff tomorrow so once we have some solid plans ill keep you folks updated on how things are moving too

Thank you all so much for the advice i appreciate it

Regards,

Lee

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    :idea: Can you put up a cam or 3 from diff angles so we can offer suggestions as you go ,...................

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by procam View Post
    :idea: Can you put up a cam or 3 from diff angles so we can offer suggestions as you go ,...................
    There is probably a fetish somewhere for people who like bathroom remodeling.

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    Shop all the fixtures and finishes for this project before you even begin if possible. It is pretty easy to spend $20k on even a small bath. A 1/2" structural glass enclosure (frameless) can run arounc $2400 for a 48" square shower. If you want multiple heads or body sprays, you will also want to confirm the size of your supply lines. The type of underlayment for the shower is pretty important and you will want to confirm that the framing has been modified correctly to meet the spans required. Cement board as opposed to cement fiberboard is far to brittle. Hardibacker 1/2" is a good way to go if you don't have a setter that can do a mud on lathe installation.

The shower pan is pretty critical so be sure it is correctly installed (blocked, layed up and tested). A shower pan is also supposed to slope to the holes that surround the drain and yet many do not. Additionally, the drain (which is raised from the floor) is not supposed to be sealed to the mud pan which is set inside the pan.

Pick it all out, add it all up and then adjust based on your budget. Cut back on material choices if need be but only use the best labor.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    If you are doing a shower pan and not a bath tub, you will use concert board, and you will put a heavey letax rubber down first , then when you do the mud you will angle the mud to the drain hole. thats very important.
    if you are doing more then one head in the shower stall you might want to put in a falsh heater.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    don't buy a "low-boy" toilet by Koehler or Price Pfister

I've been through many over the years and none of them work worth crap - no matter how much you spend on them or who makes them - the basic design is flawed -

unfortunately, many "decorinas" (as I fondly refer to "gay decorators" here in the Beverly Hills/ West Hollywood area) think they look fab and anything that's expensive is "fab" -

they ain't good! and don't forget that a toilet is one of the hardest working appliances in the home

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    Toto is the only brand of toilet worth installing.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Well right now, we're going to start the demolition either this weekend or next week sometimes and we're going to be completely gutting the bathroom.

Its a 14x14 bathroom but i think we've pretty much decided that we want regular tile on the floor and up the walls with an extended glass enclosed shower (the kind they have in hotels with glass all the way around except for one wall).

We're also probably going to put the vent on the inside of the shower rather than the outside to get some of the moisture out more quickly.

We start looking at showers and stuff tomorrow so once we have some solid plans ill keep you folks updated on how things are moving too

Thank you all so much for the advice i appreciate it

Regards,

Lee
    You should post some before and after pics please. And keep us updated on any hiccups or success.

My mom recently re-did her bathroom, and when they peeled up the tile floor, it turns out there was some sort crack in a tile and every time the shower was used for the last 20 years it was leaking and rotting out the subfloor. When she had the subfloor taken up to be replaced she found a magical land of thousands of mushrooms in the crawlspace.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip: