Thread: Do People Still Fall For Phishing Scams?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Do People Still Fall For Phishing Scams?

I cant beleive that scammers are still sending out emails that look like official Paypal, Wachovia, BB+T emails etc asking for account details to 'verify' the users account.

Are people really so dumb that they fall for these types of phishing scams still?

I can honestly say, i dont think i have ever received anything from my 'bank' by email.

Regards,

Lee

samebb
    Yup,

I know a number of people who have fallen for these kind of scams. Its what happens when you make it so cheap and easy for people with no computer knowledge to jump online and manage their finances.

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Yes, most definately.

people want to believe in easy money, and they believe anything that looks official from a bank or famous website. I get tons of them every day...and even the really good ones sometimes are hard to tell if they are real or not....but then i look at the source code of the email and it's all very clear at that point for me... but the average consumer doesn't know how to really do that.

Also, with spyware very agressive these days, it's very very easy to personalize emails and subject lines of emails to topics you may have just been discussing so phishing emails look all the more relevant....

How long have you been gay?
    I was clearing out spyware and trojans from a computer the other day, and one of the things I found in the windows\system32 directory was html files and everything needed to make a front for an online banking system.

I imagine this was supposed to create a fake login screen in IE with https and everything intact in the URL.

these bastards are getting very sophisticated and usually people are not tech savy enough to stay clear of this.

About the phishing emails, people will always be tempted to click links in their emails, some people read slower and will not look at the address bar and padlock every time.

The Nigerian scams will also work until people will stop being greedy. Somehone will always be ready to get a quick buck by helping some poor Nigerian guys out.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Some IT security group had a test where they'd show you a bunch of pages some of which were scams and some of which were legit. Amazingly, even among educated IT professionals, only about 25% were able to accurately detect which pages were legit and which were phishing pages.

The scammers are getting more and more legitimate, and Slashdot recently referenced an article in which someone demonstrated how the two-tiered login approach that Bank of America and others recently switched to can easily be compromised.

Even if I get an email from a site that I frequent regularly, and have a membership at, I will still log into the site separately and check my account rather than follow and email link. Although I used to be bad about MySpace until I got a message at one of my work email addresses saying that someone wanted to join my friends list when I didn't have a MySpace at that address. Now I never follow the MySpace email links.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Yes they do, believe it or not. It's almost funny. Almost.

Lone_Unicorn
    I think unfortunately Yes people do get cauht by phishing - all be it i have been doing this for about 6 years now and the difference in the kind of e-mails you get is shocking

da1uwant2meet

Yep SUre do

My close friend just recently fell for one of those Your long lost uncle has died and we want to give you the money....OMG!!! that was the funniest thing ever...

Hey, I just got an email from a Nigerian widow saying that I'm gonna get her dead husbands millions. All I need to do is give her my name, address, phone number and bank account info and she'll wire the money to me. I'm rich! RICH!!! I'm outta here bitches!!!
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    Hey, I just got an email from a Nigerian widow saying that I'm gonna get her dead husbands millions. All I need to do is give her my name, address, phone number and bank account info and she'll wire the money to me. I'm rich! RICH!!! I'm outta here bitches!!!
    I wonder if her husband was one of those who got killed over the recent 'democratic' elections?

Now about your riches, you can send my cut to...

Bank Of...

Regards,

Lee