Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Earth found

New Earth found

It's got the same climate as Earth, plus water and gravity. A newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there.

The discovery was announced today by a team of European astronomers, using a telescope in La Silla in the Chilean Andes.

The Earth-like planet that could be covered in oceans and may support life is 20.5 light years away, and has the right temperature to allow liquid water on its surface. FULL STORY

If I had a choice, I'd be first in line to go

So now that they've found it, who will be first to go there?

Would you want to goto a new planet like earth, or stay on earth?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    How many men do I get to take with me ?? :donmike:

crazy thing is how close it is to us.

It's possible that we can even communicate if any life forms there are intelligent.

I'm kinda stoked about that.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun View Post
    crazy thing is how close it is to us.

It's possible that we can even communicate if any life forms there are intelligent.

I'm kinda stoked about that.
    Totally. I actually hope there is not intelligent life on the planet and that it has all the resources we need to flourish there. Bringing the world to a common goal of populating a new planet. With all the things we've learned about global warming and greenhouse gasses we could start clean and fresh.

If any of you could go to populate a new planet, would you?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

WE can't populate it... not in our present form.

It's got a gravity of 5 Gs. Which means that humans would fall to the ground and die pretty quickly there.

Of course, maybe we can set sail for it now and see if we can breed super humans for the task...
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Oh the details

I thought it was cool that one year is complete every 13 days

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jasun View Post
    WE can't populate it... not in our present form.

It's got a gravity of 5 Gs. Which means that humans would fall to the ground and die pretty quickly there.
    It has a MASS 5 times that of earth and a gravity 1.6 times stronger then earths.

So if you weighed 100 pounds, and plopped on the planet instantly, you'd feel like you weeighed 160 pounds right?

Saggy skin would start at a younger age and when you piss it would fall almost twice as hard to the ground. One benefit is that your balls would hang lower, faster :chef:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Just think, with 13-day-years, many folks here would be over 1000 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by HotMaleVideos View Post
    Just think, with 13-day-years, many folks here would be over 1000 years old.
    Right for every 1 earth year you age about 28 earth2 years :ninja:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Gay is the new Black
    Heh - You would have to have Yearly Rebills
    Be Who You Are!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Wouldn't 20 lightyears take almost a lifetime to travel? Even if we could travel at the speed of light, which we can't right now, it would take 20 years to get there. So it's not like you can just hop an express shuttle and be there in a few days.

But I like the idea of a select group of environmentally intelligent people going there to start a new colony. Although I can see in a few thousand years something like Battlestar Galactica happening, when they go in search of Earth to integrate back into society but then they get here and are like "Yuck, what a shithole... but hey, I can easily jump 40 feet in the air and summer lasts for several years at a time! Woo hoo"
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    Wouldn't 20 lightyears take almost a lifetime to travel? Even if we could travel at the speed of light, which we can't right now, it would take 20 years to get there. So it's not like you can just hop an express shuttle and be there in a few days.

But I like the idea of a select group of environmentally intelligent people going there to start a new colony. Although I can see in a few thousand years something like Battlestar Galactica happening, when they go in search of Earth to integrate back into society but then they get here and are like "Yuck, what a shithole... but hey, I can easily jump 40 feet in the air and summer lasts for several years at a time! Woo hoo"
    The USA isnt going to wait on this one ~
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25331.200.html

Hyperdrive :crazyeyes:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by procam View Post
    The USA isnt going to wait on this one ~
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25331.200.html

Hyperdrive :crazyeyes:
    The link didn't work.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

bakdoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    It has a MASS 5 times that of earth and a gravity 1.6 times stronger then earths.

So if you weighed 100 pounds, and plopped on the planet instantly, you'd feel like you weeighed 160 pounds right?

Saggy skin would start at a younger age and when you piss it would fall almost twice as hard to the ground. One benefit is that your balls would hang lower, faster :chef:
    And, what would happen to that awesome 'woody', of yours?

marcjacob
    This made me think. Its talking about what would happen if we picked up an Alien signal:

Quite what would happen if we for our part did receive a signal is unclear.

"There is a protocol, buried away in the United Nations," says Dr Shostak. "The President would be told first, after the signal was confirmed by other observatories. But we couldn't keep such a discovery secret."
    Yeah right! Im sure the Government would be straight onto CNN broadcasting that world wide.