Thread: How hard is it to move everything to a new server/hosting company?

Making Pain Pay!

How hard is it to move everything to a new server/hosting company?

I was just wondering how hard it was to move everything over to a new server and hosting company.

Right now, I have all my sites hosted with one company, but I am not happy with their level of customer service when I have the rare site problem. I am thinking about moving ship.

Is this something that is relatively easy to do, or a pain in the ass?
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

it depends. most likely the new host will move everything for you. then you leave both servers up while your name servers change and everything should be pretty smooth. my move to hosthead a couple years ago was seamless, meaning no one could detect that a move took place. natnet does good moves, too, i hear.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    we just made a completely seamless move from ChiliHost to NatNet - the hosts took care of everything - we did a couple of things like assigning new passwords and...

boom - bada - bing... we didn't drop a beat

Making Pain Pay!
    Thanks. That makes me feel better.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

Dzinerbear
    I gave Luke at Chili Host my login and server information at my old host.
    I went to bed.
    I woke up and everything was moved.

It was one of the simplest things I ever did.

Michael

How long have you been gay?
    Hello Tropixxx,

In most cases migrations between hosts are very easy to accomplish but as with everything there are exceptions to every rule.

I would recommend is that if you are not going to handle the migration yourself then as you shop for new hosting make that one of your questions for the new host.

Ask them how they handle migrations? How familiar they are with them, etc. I for one always request that our admin in charge of the migration have access prior to telling the client what to expect, just so that they can review the way everything is setup in the current operation and evaluate if there may be any special requirements or considerations to keep in mind (databases and special scripts should be reviewed carefully).

In addition when making the move I would recommend allowing for a few days while DNS propagates and to verify that new hosting is working as planned before the old account is taken down. In an effort to avoid rushes Caro.Net would always be willing to give a new client a few FREE days for migration period.

Well I hope that this helps and that when the time is right that you will consider Caro.Net as a possible new home for your hosting!

Good luck.
    Mark M, 727-433-0745
    MMemmer@CaroHosting.com Support is everything!
    ICQ# 40467849, AIM MMemmer333

Quote Originally Posted by MMemmer View Post
    In addition when making the move I would recommend allowing for a few days while DNS propagates and to verify that new hosting is working as planned before the old account is taken down.
    Mark and everyone are right on the money..

Migration is all dependent on how your new host handles the process and DNS cutover is the biggest 'gotcha'.
    Most good hosts will have options and expertise to minimize the downtime, with static pages, replication, etc.
    Moving to a new server makes it very easy...
    Gary
    CCBill

i would like to mention here that having a careless host move your sites can be awful. we were moved by a host that failed to pay attention a few years ago. they have a good reputation and we had no dsl at the time so we couldn't do it... in some sections, our new server didn't have anything past 2 folders deep. when we went live, it was a disaster - we were permanantly blacklisted from several big tgps and link lists and in the long run, lost over $100,000 over the years.

so be careful who you host with. a good host makes all the difference!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    And... keep in mind that the positive stories are pretty much ALL from NatNet and Chilihost... two exceptional hosts.

If you go with a "value host", you will almost certainly not have as good an experience.

BTW, for what it's worth, we have servers in 3 data centers. Until about 6 months ago, I was a big supporter of ThePlanet.com, but their service has gone completely in the toilet (they were sold to a gigantic multinational company.) So be careful who you go with, and ask around - here and maybe on GFY, and maybe on webhostingtalk.com - before you select a host.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    And... keep in mind that the positive stories are pretty much ALL from NatNet and Chilihost... two exceptional hosts.

If you go with a "value host", you will almost certainly not have as good an experience.

BTW, for what it's worth, we have servers in 3 data centers. Until about 6 months ago, I was a big supporter of ThePlanet.com, but their service has gone completely in the toilet (they were sold to a gigantic multinational company.) So be careful who you go with, and ask around - here and maybe on GFY, and maybe on webhostingtalk.com - before you select a host.

I am giving serious consideration to Chilihost and CaveCreek. I had not heard of NatNet, but will look into it.

Mind you, I am not totally sure I am going to leave my current host, I am just exploring options.

Thanks for everyones input on the matter.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    I am giving serious consideration to Chilihost and CaveCreek. I had not heard of NatNet, but will look into it.
    As of about 2 months ago, Chilihost = NatNat.

yeah, Jim's right, as of March 1st, Chilihost is the offshore arm of NationalNet and all our USA servers are running out of the Atlanta NatNet DC.

We would be happy to help you out as much as possible with your move. Yes, moving hosts is a pain in the ass, thats true. But with good quality support it can be done with very little stress and work on your part, and no downtime. Just let us take care of it and all you have to do is verify all is perfect and then change DNS. And if you are keen, I can get you a great deal on a dedicated server, just contact me on sales@chilihost.com with your requirements and I will put together a quote for you.

cheers,
    Luke