Thread: New Yahoo Messenger update messing with my computer ~ need help

New Yahoo Messenger update messing with my computer ~ need help

I just did the automatic update of Yahoo Messenger which I almost never use.

Well this update has some background program that now makes yahoo my home page and every time I start up explorer tries to make yahoo toolbar my default search 2 times. It also automatically installs yahoo toolbar.

So obviously I uninstalled yahoo toolbar, rebooted, and same problem minus yahoo toolbar being installed.

So out of frustration I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger and guess what... STILL when opening explorer it tries to make yahoo search my default and makes yahoo page my default page, even though I've changed it to blank 10 times now.

I've checked all the boot files, and current processes and I can't find any programs/processes that stick out. Anybody know how to get rid of this thing?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    try a restore before you did the down load

Thanks for the tip

After uninstalling both messenger and toolbar I found that reinstalling, not the update, gives you the option to disable toolbar etc. However after reinstalling and deselecting those options, it still loaded yahoo as my main page and tried to override google toolbar 2 times after starting explorer.

So.. I deleted the directory c:\program files\yahoo

still the same problem

So I disabled all of the yahoo IE addons

still the same problem

So I did a regedit, searched and deleted anything with keyword Yahoo, then rebooted.

And... I'm good to go :thumbsup:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    way cool! Its a pain because when you down load a plug in or down load something, they always want to add goggle or yahoo. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    way cool! Its a pain because when you down load a plug in or down load something, they always want to add goggle or yahoo. What's up with that?
    I think Yahoo must be extremely desperate to have such an aggressive new stance. What a waste of time and no simple way to change the default IE page and google toolbar.. crazy! They must really be hurting

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Yo are so right, I wonder how much they page the programs to have as a download?