RE: Sweet Productions Inc. / Steve Sweet Obscenity Prosecution

Mr. Steve Sweet was today acquitted on all 20 counts of charges of making, distributing and circulating obscene videos contrary to s. 163 (8) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

The Honourable Judge R.R. Low in a cogent and concise 25 page written Judgment held that that the impugned videos, consisting of scenes from SEG websites sadoslaves.com, misspain.com and peelover.com left him with a reasonable doubt, on the basis of the defence evidence proffered, that the videos offended contemporary Canadian community’s tolerance for other Canadians viewing the material.

Mr. Sweet is delighted with the outcome of this seminal decision and wishes to congratulate his counsel, Paul G. Kent-Snowsell, for mounting such a thorough and vigorous defence to the charges.

The full Reasons for Judgment will be available within the next 2-3 weeks at www.provincialcourt.bc.ca using the search term <BDSM>.

The full 25 page decision can be found here: APRIL 23/04 Obscenity Decision http://www.sweetentertainment.com/le...y_Decision.pdf
While i will be one of the first to congratulate the Sweet's on a victory in court i would also like to point out that in all honesty, if they hadnt pushed the boundaries of decency in the first place, this whole issue would not have arisen so to some extent their victory is somewhat moot.

Another thing i have noticed various webmasters commenting on is that this is going to help those of us in the U.S when and if we get prosecuted for obscenity related charges. Unfortunately, that isnt going to be the case, in fact, i dont think i have ever heard of a court in the U.S basing their rulings on another countries law so where some people have the idea this is 'good' for us im a little confused about.

That being said congrat to the Sweets on the win but again, if they hadnt pushed the legal boundaries in the first place, it wouldnt have been an issue at all.

Regards,

Lee