Thread: Blockbuster Video Settles Gay Discrimination Suit

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Blockbuster Video Settles Gay Discrimination Suit

(St. Paul, Minnesota) A St. Paul, Minnesota gay man will be paid nearly $80,000 by Blockbuster Video to end a discrimination case.

Jeffrey Davis filed two discrimination charges with the Minnesota Human Rights Department in November 2002 after he was harassed over his sexuality by managers at two St. Paul locations.

The complaint said that he was repeatedly called derogatory names, physically assaulted by a co-worker and was subjected to retaliation when he complained to Blockbuster's management.

The state human rights department investigated Davis' claims and is found probable cause to support his allegations.

In an effort to avoid trial Blockbuster Inc. has agreed to pay Davis $78,750 and to provide discrimination and harassment training for all store managers in the Twin Cities as part of the settlement.

The settlement is the largest involving sexuality ever made in Minnesota.
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/04/042504blockSuit.htm

You know even though the fact this guy was discriminated against was wrong, i find it worse that he allowed them to settle out of court.

The human rights deptartment found 'probable cause' for the claim yet this dude accepts a measly 80k settlement figure? :eek:

Regards,

Lee

yeah, but i know lots of people who wouldn't even have filed. at least blockbuster has discovered it's cheaper to train their management.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    I don't think settling was a horrible thing. I see what your saying but the fact that message about Blockbuster gets out is important too.

An acquaitance of mine, Stephen, won a discrimination case in NYC. I think it's still the largest monetary win in the history of the city (over $10 mil) for a gya discrimination case. While he was determined to go the course, he admitted later that if he knew the toll it was going to take he would have settled earlier. Not that the money is all important but he has yet to see any of it, since it's going through the appeal process.

It's probably a bitch of decision to make, but at least the word is out.

My two cents.

GA