Thread: How Often Do You Backup Your Data?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

How Often Do You Backup Your Data?

I just wondered how often you folks backed up your important data from your PCs?

We've been running weekly backups for the last year or so but im beginning to wonder if this is to often, i know we have a bunch of CDs just sitting there taking up space in the safe and im thinking once every 2 weeks is going to be just as 'safe'.

What are your folks thoughts on this?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    General rule of thumb is you back up as often as you're willing to lose/reconstruct the data.

For some things I'm working on, I literally back up every 5 or 10 minutes, because I don't want to lose even that portion of work, as it may in some ways take much more than 5 or 10 minutes to rewrite/reedit/rebuild it.

For other things (our media server that holds all our content) backups are infrequent, because the content doesn't change all that often.

Overall, I think weekly is reasonable. If you have too many disks, you might consider switching to tape, or going to incremental backups, or even something like Jungledisk.com coupled with Amazon S3, which is a very cheap offline solution, assuming you have a decent Internet connection.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    we have automatic back-up systems (run by a program called Retrospect) that are set up to back-up every day - to various drives and servers

its all very simple once you have everything in place