Thread: Immigration Reform Plans Okayed By Senate

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Immigration Reform Plans Okayed By Senate

May 17 (Bloomberg) -- Senate negotiators reached bipartisan agreement on immigration legislation aimed at providing a path to citizenship for 12 million undocumented aliens while improving U.S. border security.

The plan -- with Bush administration support -- would base future immigration on a combination of ``family ties,'' a points- based merit system and immigration of refugees, Senator Edward M. Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat and chief sponsor of the overhaul, said at a news conference.

``This agreement is the best possible chance we will have in years to secure our borders, bring millions of people out of the shadows and into the sunshine of America,'' Kennedy said. At his side was Arizona Republican Senator John McCain, a presidential candidate, and other senators of both parties including Pennsylvania Republican Arlen Specter and California Democrat Dianne Feinstein.

A key provision would give illegal immigrants in the U.S. a chance to get so-called Green Cards that attest to their legal status after eight years. They would have to be able to speak English and not have committed a crime. Also, border patrols would be increased and the government would crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Praising the agreement were Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, who negotiated with lawmakers on the measure for weeks. Chertoff said the two told President George W. Bush about the accord by phone.

``The president described this as a historic moment and he looks forward to signing this bill when it makes its way through Congress,'' Chertoff said. ``It gives an honest solution to a problem that has bedeviled this country for decades.''

`Important Step'

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, had pressured the negotiators to reach a deal by threatening to call for debate on immigration legislation that passed the Senate last year before the House shelved it. Reid said Congress must act now or miss a chance to overhaul the law before the 2008 presidential election.

``This is a first step but important step in moving forward with comprehensive overall immigration reform,'' said McCain. He said the measure would ``put employers on notice that the practice of hiring illegal workers will no longer be tolerated.''

The accord is intended to cover the main elements of a plan sought by Bush for more than two years. The president last year said the overhaul would bring millions of undocumented workers out of ``the shadows'' of society.

`Rule of Law'

``This will restore the rule of law,'' said Specter. ``No matter what we craft, it's going to be attacked both from the right and the left,'' he said. He called the agreement ``the best I think that can be done.''

Businesses such as farms and restaurants have backed legislation that would allow immigrants to at least temporarily take jobs in the U.S. that might otherwise go unfilled. The Chamber of Commerce, the nation's largest business federation, supports ``an earned pathway to legalization'' and a ``carefully monitored guest or essential worker program'' to fill gaps in the U.S. workforce, according to a statement on its Web site.

Bush and Democrats backed similar legislation a year ago before it was blocked by House Republicans, who dismissed the citizenship opportunity for those illegally in the U.S. as amnesty for lawbreakers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Iro&refer=home

So basically, people who have entered the country illegally, get free citizenship while others, like myself, get to spend THOUSANDS of dollars every few months for several years in order to remain in the country LEGALLY!

Thats pretty fucked up, i guess it does pay to break the law in the USA

Regards,

Lee

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    First off we have to see what the wording is. Second we have to see if the Illegal people are going to be screwed where they aren't going to go for it.

If this new Visa that they are going to make makes it so they have to learn English, and when they are waiting the 5 to 8 years they pay tax's then by all mean get them the visa.

But from what I heard they are going to have to wait 5 to 8 years and in that time they are going to have to pay a 5,000 fine. Then in 5 to 8 years they have to fly home to get there visa stamped and then they can just come back here and start on citizenship. If anyone here has had to deal with an Embassy then you know this is never going to work!

I was talking to my lover and said no way are the illegal people going to trust the American government letting them back into the country. You have to understand that Illegal people don't trust this government, and to tell the truth I don't either.

By the way did you guys and gals know that this government has whole families in jail!

Families Behind Bars

February 6, 2007
    Families Behind Bars
    U.S. immigration policy is putting kids in jail
    By Kari Lydersen
    Named after the co-founder of the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), the T. Don Hutto Correctional Center in Taylor, Texas, opened as a medium-security prison in 1997. Today, the federal government pays CCA, the nation’s largest private prison company, $95 per person per day to house the detainees, who wear jail-type uniforms and live in cells.
    But they have not been charged with any crimes. In fact, nearly half of its 400 or so residents are children, including infants and toddlers
    http://www.usimmigrationwoes.com/

and nothing was said about the uniting families act for gay couples!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So basically, people who have entered the country illegally, get free citizenship while others, like myself, get to spend THOUSANDS of dollars every few months for several years in order to remain in the country LEGALLY!

Thats pretty fucked up, i guess it does pay to break the law in the USA

Sounds like we have a lot in common here Lee. Immigration is a tough thing here in Australia as well since they've modeled their whole system after Americas, minus the detention camps they have here for certain illegal immigrants.

Immigration policy has become a BIG money maker for governments. I too have had to pay tens of thousands and thousands over the years.

The whole immigration process makes a good number of people become disenfranchised with the country and leave just because of the process.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Immigration policy has become a BIG money maker for governments

Have you seen some of the fees that they want to apply let alone just for the forms! The love to bleed you!

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    they've modeled their whole system after Americas, minus the detention camps they have here for certain illegal immigrants
    Well sheesh
    I'd really hate to be one of the "certain" ones

But then my mind conjures all kinds of horrible images when I hear "detention camp"