Thread: Goggle PR - how important?

wnc

Goggle PR - how important?

I have been working on an old 1998 domain recently.

Honestly, I was very upset with a yesterday reading that it went from PR3 to PR2. I was in reconstuction mode, not link mode.

I think Google unfairly loves the blogs right now.

Meanwhile... as I shed a tear... I am PR2... that is worth a cry

YET I still have contant traffic, mostly bookmarked and Google traffic has been on incease every month this year.

Is PR really important? (hint... say no... laugh)

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Page Rank (PR) is not linked to your position within the Index itself, therefore no, it really isn't important. It is mostly used by webmasters to determine a sites linking status, and even that is depreciated. What is important is where you are in the index for your keywords, how many pages are cached in the index, and how often GBot surfs your site. PR does not effect those items.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

PR is still important. It now seems that the higher PR you have, the more often google scans your site thus getting new content & links indexed a lot faster.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post
    PR is still important. It now seems that the higher PR you have, the more often google scans your site thus getting new content & links indexed a lot faster.

Actually I'll disagree Luke, the more new content you add is what triggers GBot, or the changes on existing pages, higher PR is a result of that trigger, at least according to Matt Cutts.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Ian that is quite interesting, I did not know that. Got any other sweet google info?

wnc
    Doing some Google research, back in 2004 many seemed to write that PR was not important. That is of course stale news and Google changes the formula frequently. That is indeed the magic of the profitable Google.

With a new PR2, still sad and weeping about the decrease, I see I am now page one with many various and numerous keywords, but not the more popular ones - which leads me to think that perhaps GayStoryMan is correct. PR is not ranked as high in importance as many think.

Sure PR is important, but is just a snapshot of links. I think Google gives more weight to an index page that changes often, giving value points. Usually my site is bookmarked, but now I am getting 30% traffic from the engines.

I don't recall where I read the article, but there was something out a few months ago talking about how Google (and most site owners) were getting away from PR having much importance. I still think it's the webmasters themselves that give it more weight than it really deserves, especially when it comes to link trading, banner spot advertising, or site sales.

Dzinerbear
    PR is like cock size, everyone wants to know how big your dick is, but in the end, it doesn't really affect your ability to fuck. I've had some pretty boring fucks from men with huge cocks. And we all think that a 9-inch cock is going to feel amazing, but really, for how long can you really take one?

PR is about the same. When I started Universal Bear, I had a PR0 for well over a year, maybe more. And yet, I held many top ten rankings for good keywords, and I got thousands of visitors every month. Nobody wanted to "play" with me because I didn't have a big PR, so while they were all running around looking for bigger PR sites, I continued building my site. One day they woke up and Universal Bear was everywhere.

People obsess about PR because they think it's a quick fix to their own search engine ranking. People also get into these crazy linking schemes -- A-B-C -- thinking that Google can't spot that one. Link list owners drive me crazy with their "you must use a keyword reciprocal links" policies, so every time I want to submit a new site I have to run to 30 link lists and grab their "twink" reciprocal link, then tomorrow I have to change them to a "Latino" link. Nobody stops to think that all these links are coming from a lot of crappy sites that Google doesn't consider very highly to begin with, so do they really help. Who knows? Last month they did maybe, this month they might not, next month they might penalize you.

If people spent as much time writing content for their sites as they did worrying about PR and schemes to trick search engines, they'd be a lot further ahead.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear View Post
    People obsess about PR because they think it's a quick fix to their own search engine ranking. People also get into these crazy linking schemes -- A-B-C -- thinking that Google can't spot that one. Link list owners drive me crazy with their "you must use a keyword reciprocal links" policies, so every time I want to submit a new site I have to run to 30 link lists and grab their "twink" reciprocal link, then tomorrow I have to change them to a "Latino" link. Nobody stops to think that all these links are coming from a lot of crappy sites that Google doesn't consider very highly to begin with, so do they really help. Who knows? Last month they did maybe, this month they might not, next month they might penalize you.

If people spent as much time writing content for their sites as they did worrying about PR and schemes to trick search engines, they'd be a lot further ahead.

Michael
    Oh I hate the linklists that require a very specific niche link ... makes me nuts to go through the hoops to get a site listed on 'em.

And you're absolutely right about having carefully constructed content vs trying to outplay, outwin a google PR match ....