Thread: You Think We'll Ever See Another Search Engine..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

You Think We'll Ever See Another Search Engine..

That gets to be as big as Google or is it pretty much over for new SE's hitting the scene these days thanks to the growth of the big G?

Id like to think it would still be possible for another larger engine to suddenly pop up but the realist in me really doubts that it would be possible for anyone to take on Google.

What do you folks think, do you think we'll see another search engine start to become as big as Google in the next say, 5-10 years time?

Regards,

Lee

anything is possible...think myspace or youtube 2 years ago when they weren't even in existance yet. Who knows what will happen!

Anything's possible, the internet is forever evolving, and opportunities still exist to do something big on it.

Dzinerbear
    I think it's highly possible that overnight Google could fall off the face of the earth. This Internet is very fickle. Remember way back Netscape was the big player and Microsoft wasn't even interested in the Web. Then Microsoft got interested and Netscape was still saying "We think people will pay for a good browser." Boy were they wrong.

Remember when Alta Vista was THE search engine.

Two years ago DRM was the way to go, now?

Three years ago blogs were what? Now they're everywhere.

All we need is for a new search engine to come up with the right combination and suddenly Google is fighting for market share.

Michael

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I can remember various search engines that were the top shit for a while, as Michael said...

Alta Vista
    Northern Light (are they even still around?)
    Looksmart

All of the above were, at one time, considered "top tier" in #1 or #2 place.

Then there were the (at one time) amazing metasearch engines

Dogpile.com
    highway61.com

and there was one really amazing metasearch engine that kicked the ass off of the others (don't remember the name now), but it abruptly went out of business. I even contacted the guy to try and buy the code, but he wouldn't sell...

I think that it *is* possible for someone to come along with something better, but Google has definitely set a high barrier for entry with their technology AND information

hehe...and it could happen as long as its not a microsoft project like live.com LOL!!!

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    My favorite search engines of the 90s were... in order of most favorite to least of the top 3

Infoseek.com
    excite.com
    webcrawler.com
    ICQ# 200-385-093

Dzinerbear
    Yes, I think you're right, Chip. Anyone taking on Google would have a high bar to hit. Still all we need is for Google to cross a line one day, and poof! the world turns on them.

Michael

I used to use Dogpile religiously

I hope we do see another new search engine, one that will aggressively compete with Google. Google is the new MS , I don't like how they can do whatever they like with no consequence in the name of "progression"

If we had a SE that just did the best searches, gave the best results, and was fair to businesses.. all would be good.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com