Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Should We Help Newbies?

Dzinerbear

Why Should We Help Newbies?

With some many people and sites competing for membership dollars, why should we help newbies?

Michael

Guess my short answer is: what goes around comes around.

I know I'd still be floundering big time if it wasn't for folks like those here on GWW that were willing to take a few minutes (or hours) and help me out with a problem, or clarify some aspect of the biz that I just wasn't "getting". And when possible, I try to help the next guy down the line.

why not? most won't get it, but a few wo;;/ gptta agree wotj bec pm wjat gpes arpimd. cp,es arpimd. tpp/ wjem o was startomg pit om 96, people helped me. not sure if i'd even be a webmaster if they hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    why not? most won't get it, but a few wo;;/ gptta agree wotj bec pm wjat gpes arpimd. cp,es arpimd. tpp/ wjem o was startomg pit om 96, people helped me. not sure if i'd even be a webmaster if they hadn't.

This a new language Patti, or just tired fingers that forgot what keys they were on?? LOL

basschick speaks in tongues

Dzinerbear
    Whoa! basschick, what happened to your keyboard.

Michael

maybe only newbies understand that????

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    'Newbies' per se shouldnt be helped, newbies that show respect for others and a willingness to learn should be helped.

Im actually at the point now where if a newbie asks me for help on ICQ ill send him/her right to GWW because i simply dont have the patience for them any more, if truth be told, my patience for 'dumb' new webmasters ran out a couple of years ago but once in a while ill try to help one of them in the hopes they actually listen to what i tell them.

9 out of 10 times though, they'll spend an hour of my time asking all the questions they need answers to, ill gladly offer them the right advice they need then they will turn around and say im wrong and not bother doing what i told them to anyway.

For the record, there's a reason i tell people not to jump straight in to TGPs by submitting gallery after gallery to The Hun, there's a reason i tell people not to jump straight in and open a paysite, theres's a reason i tell people to read the boards, articles and ask others for advice.... Unfortunately, they think they know better than almost 10 years of experience so yeah, unless a newbie shows a willingness to learn and respect for others, they probably wont get helped by me these days

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We lucked out in some ways, sorta came into the industry ass-backwards... my former business partner started boyfunk without any knowledge or experience in traffic... but it was at a time when it was easier to get affiliates and tgp traffic...

We definitely try to help out newbies where we can, but when you get guys like Max who ask a million questions and then argue with your answers... well, those guys I don't bother with. But it seems that for every one of those, there are plenty of others who genuinely want and appreciate the help, and end up creating a lot of traffic, which we get the benefit of... so I think it works out.

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Why? I suppose simply because that's how we all got started. Whether it was asking for clarification on something or more detailed help, but while some might be greedy, and keep all they learned to themselves, other share, simply because it is how we were brought up.

Then there are those who, as Lee says, ask then argue. They are one's I just walk away from, as its too time consuming.

Still there is something about helping that I don't know, gives me a smile and I like to smile.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    'Newbies' per se shouldnt be helped, newbies that show respect for others and a willingness to learn should be helped.
    That is so true

I love making new contacts and helping people but nothing is more frustrating then someone asking a board for help, experienced people giving it, then the newbie doing EXACTLY the opposite because of outside influences or lurkers that recruit them to the dark side via icq or pm :pirate:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Gay is the new Black
    How I see it...

Not everyone is here for the same reason. Some to promote their sites and others to exploit their services through hidden means.

If I had a slew of services I offered and a Newbie came to the forum with questions, I could simply offer up well known answers un-searched by the newb.

After two or three posts on two or three questions I gain a level of trust from the newb.

Once the Newb is ready to hire someone for work they cannot do them self, I drop an e-mail/I.M. with a little "What is it you need help with?" "Ooh, that's easy, you just need X, Y and Z" (X,Y and Z being things I know how to do but goes over the Newbs head) "If you need help with any of this let me know"

The order and wording may or may not be at this level BUT it is the game of selling yourself and it's what everyone is here to do.

So...

If you have nothing to gain other than being a part of the forum by helping someone, Why should you?
    Be Who You Are!

Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    So...

If you have nothing to gain other than being a part of the forum by helping someone, Why should you?
    That's a good point. I think it's about building a community. It's always been about that for me. The more educated webmasters out there who know what the laws are, who to stay away from, and what can get them into trouble, the less problems we all have in the long run.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Gay is the new Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    The more educated webmasters out there who know what the laws are, who to stay away from, and what can get them into trouble, the less problems we all have in the long run.
    But the laws, who is in the hot seat and (redundant) what can get them in trouble (Redundant because of the first thing (laws)) is not the same as - Do _ to have google see your site. Do _ to have their robots list you quicker. Do _ to have it check your site X times a day. Do _ to get listed in Demoz.

You pulled in a new set of "help" rules when the main question is, in my own words "Why help a newbie build, run and maintain a webpage so my own sales can drop"
    Be Who You Are!

Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    You pulled in a new set of "help" rules when the main question is, in my own words "Why help a newbie build, run and maintain a webpage so my own sales can drop"
    That's a good question.

Do you think there's enough to go around and that helping others is a good way to build a strong united community that we can rely on when we are in need of help in the future?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com