Thread: The Truth About URL Registration

I'd rather be whole, than good rand's Avatar

The Truth About URL Registration

The Truth About URL Registration

The question has been asked here and on other boards: Why are new domains taking so long to get set up? And why do some billing companies seem to set up new sites faster than others? The answer is not that complicated; some of us are following the rules, which means that it takes longer.

Earlier this year, Epoch sent an email to its' clients clarifying the Visa rules which stated that all Internet Payment Service Providers (IPSP's) are required to submit all new domains requesting credit card processing to Visa for approval prior to allowing them to process any Visa transactions for that site. The new policy was implemented and enforced by Epoch immediately.

Epoch is and has been 100% compliant with the new rule. Unfortunately not all other IPSP’s have followed the rule, allowing sites to begin processing transactions before Visa has approved the URL. Yes, we have examples and proof; No, we won’t post them or discuss them – for obvious reasons. This practice obviously results in quicker turn around time, which answers the question: “Why does it take Epoch longer than (insert IPSP name here) to register sites?” This practice puts your sites and your entire business at serious risk.

If you have submitted domains for processing that were activated by your IPSP prior to Visa approval, your site and perhaps your entire portfolio are at risk for violating Visa rules through no fault of your own. Visa has stated that violations of their URL registration policy could result in substantial fines and penalties. URL's found to be violating Visa rules could also be subject to termination.

To insure that your site is set up as quickly as possible, be sure you do not submit it to your IPSP until it is fully functional and ready to launch. Visa is looking at the sites, not just the domain name. Billing Support links and all other functionality including 2257 compliance are just an example of some of the reasons sites are not being sent to Visa for approval and delaying the entire registration process. This rule applies to all sites, even after initial registration. Every time you add a site, it has to be registered.

Epoch review’s your sites before submission for registration. We review each site submitted to us and either return the site to you with recommendations or submit the site for Visa approval. The registration process takes several days. You need to consider this when planning the marketing of a new site.

As always, we will continue to keep you informed of any new developments.

Please remember that getting a site up fast is important to all of us. If you are not selling, we are not billing. We are all aligned here. The overriding factor and indeed our job for our clients is to keep the merchant account. Breaking the rules is always faster, but it always ends up badly. We have all seen this time and time again. So before you start processing a new URL through any IPSP, ask this question - and get the answer in writing: “Have your Acquiring Bank and Visa approved this URL for processing?” If the answer is anything but Yes, do not process one single transaction.

New rules always mean a little more time and a little more effort. But the result is always worth the effort. Stay in business – for the long term.

Thanks,

Chris Mallick
    CEO - Epoch / Paycom
    --Rand @ Epoch >dot< com
    My AdultWhosWho

Epoch - Since 1996

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Excellent thanks for the additional info Rand :groovy:

Regards,

Lee

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Thanks for the info, Rand. That's most important!

I have a question... Do you know if Visa checks 'whois' information on the domains as part of their process - to match ownership with processing?

The reason I'm asking this is we own several different companies - some adult and some non adult. While none of these corporate entities really meet, other than directing traffic at times, I'm wondering if their 'processing' procedure may have an effect eventually.

Just wondering...

Gary-Alan