Thread: Block IP address in Strongbox

Xstr8guy

Block IP address in Strongbox

Is there a way to do that? We have 3 members that have been posting our content to rapidshare. I'd like to make sure that they never again have access to UKnakedmen.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Is there a way to do that? We have 3 members that have been posting our content to rapidshare. I'd like to make sure that they never again have access to UKnakedmen.
    Its probably a lot better to block them from the server IMHO.

If you send a support ticket to your host, they should be able to block access to your entire server

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Yes! Thanks Lee! That's even better, they'll never even see the tour again. I love it!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Yes! Thanks Lee! That's even better, they'll never even see the tour again. I love it!
    No problems

Ive done that a couple of times on Condom Cash and also to stop certain people accessing GWW also hehe

Regards,

Lee

rkobcan
    But maybe not the best idea....

If you block an ip most isp provide dynamic IP's so they are changing --- mine can change several times a week.... and so if you block an ip you are not necessary blocking that person unless you know for certain they have a static ip. (The ip address may in future be given out to someone else who is a customer or potential customer and suddenly they find themsevles blocked --- only really likely if there were many customers from one area say a gay village and had the same isp otherwise unlikely.)

The person could still use any number of proxy services to get to your site if they want to.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rkobcan View Post
    But maybe not the best idea....

If you block an ip most isp provide dynamic IP's so they are changing --- mine can change several times a week.... and so if you block an ip you are not necessary blocking that person unless you know for certain they have a static ip. (The ip address may in future be given out to someone else who is a customer or potential customer and suddenly they find themsevles blocked --- only really likely if there were many customers from one area say a gay village and had the same isp otherwise unlikely.)

The person could still use any number of proxy services to get to your site if they want to.
    I've checked, these 3 members are each using a static IP and they are the only current members with those particular IPs. What are the chances that these IPs may again be non-fraudulent?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    The issue is the length of the IP lease. If the content theft has been going on for months, then you can safely assume the IP address is static. If it's a week or two, many ISPs, particularly cable providers, often do 2 week or 30 day IP leases, after which the DHCP server releases and renews the lease, sometimes with the same IP, sometimes with a different IP.

If you're seeing the address is the same over time, I'd say go ahead and block it. The likelihood of any one person getting that same IP 6 months later and wanting to sign up for your particular program is pretty small.

rkobcan

Wink

True ISP who provide dynamic addresses can change them frequently or like most cable providers every couple of weeks.

If it is from the same ip over months then most likely it is a static ip and you could block it but if they have a static IP then they probably have the tech savy to bypass a block through proxy servers. Doesn't hurt to block them though if you suspect it is a static ip.

raymor
    Indeed you can just add them to the .htaccess in your document root like so:

deny from 123.45.67.89
    deny from 321.54.76.98

I'd put a note on the calendar to remove them a month later or whatever, since their IP
    will probably change and there will be no need to block those IPs anymore.
    If their IP chnages, but is always in the same class C subnet, you can also do:

deny from 321.54.76
    deny from 123.45.67

We haven't put this into the Strongbox admin just because it's rarely needed and so
    simply to do manually, but we may add that in Strongbox 4.0.