Thread: No more power plugs ~New wireless device beams electricity through your home!

No more power plugs ~New wireless device beams electricity through your home!

Scientists have sounded the death knell for the plug and power lead.

In a breakthrough that sounds like something out of Star Trek, they have discovered a way of 'beaming' power across a room into a light bulb, mobile phone or laptop computer without wires or cables.

In the first successful trial of its kind, the team was able to illuminate a 60-watt light bulb 7ft away.

The team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who call their invention 'WiTricity', believe it could change the way we use electricity and do away with the tangle of cables, plugs and chargers that clutter modern homes.

It could also allow the use of laptops and mobile phones without batteries.

The inspiration came when the lead researcher, Dr Marin Soljacic, was standing in his kitchen at night staring at his mobile phone.

"It was probably the sixth time that month that I was awakened by my cell phone beeping to let me know that I had forgotten to charge it. It occurred to me that it would be so great if the thing took care of its own charging," he said.

To turn this dream into reality, Dr Soljacic needed a way of transmitting power wirelessly.

Scientists have known for nearly two centuries that it is possible to transfer an electrical current from one coil of wire to another without them touching.

The phenomenon, called electromagnetic induction, is used in power transformers and electric motors around the world.

However, the coils in motors and transformers have to be close for power to pass from one to another. Attempting to transfer power over distances is impossible.

The breakthrough came when Dr Soljacic realised there was another way of transferring energy through the air.

Rather than sending power from a transmitter to a receiver as a conventional electromagnetic wave - the same form of radiation as light, radio waves and microwaves - he could use the transmitter to fill a room with a 'non-radiative' electromagnetic field.

Most objects in the room - such as people, desks and carpets - would be unaffected by the electromagnetic field. But any objects designed to resonate with the electromagnetic field would absorb the energy.

It sounds complicated, but the result demonstrated by the American team this month was a dramatic success. Using two coils of copper, the team transmitted power 7ft through the air to a light bulb, which lit up instantly.

The scientists say the technique works only over distances of up to 9ft. However, they believe it could be used to charge up a battery within a few yards of the power source connected to a receiving coil.

Placing one source in each room could provide enough power for an entire house.

The receiver and transmitter would not have to be in view of each other.

Professor Peter Fisher, another of the researchers, said: "As long as the laptop is in a room equipped with a source of wireless power, it would charge automatically without having to be plugged in. In fact, it would not even need a battery to operate inside such a room."

The researchers believe there is little to worry about on safety grounds, saying that magnetic fields interact weakly with living organisms and are unlikely to have any serious side effects.

Dr Soljacic said: "When my son was about three years old, we visited his grandparents' house. They had a 20-year-old phone and my son picked up the handset asking, 'Dad, why is this phone attached with a cord to the wall?' That is the mindset of a child growing up in a wireless world.

"Hopefully we will be getting rid of some more wires and batteries soon." FULL STORY

-----------------

This sounds totally cool except for a constant strong electromagnetic field in every room of your house. How do you feel about it? Would you use it?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Oh man I soooo need this now! My house needs re-wired and this would solve that problem!

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Sounds cool and expensive.

so I'd never have to change the fucking batteries in my vibrator?

Sign me up.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Working hard to dominate the gay adult industry. JamesXR's Avatar
    I read about this stuff a while back. You don't have to worry so much about the electromagnetic field. This stuff uses some crazy rules of quantum physics. Essentially the power gets transfered from one object to the other without traveling the space in between. I believe it's called tunneling.
    It somehow locks on to the receptive unit and beams it power. It is freakin' awesome stuff. I wonder if they extended the range could they make lineless power poles?
    Damn, do I ever love technology.
    JamesXR
    Affiliate Relations for www.BoyZShop.com
    Yes, I do have what you're looking for.

Xstr8guy
    And it surely will cause cancer.

But we won't know until we've lived with it for 10 years.

Baghdad Bob
    this sounds cool actually :cheekymonkey:

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post

BINGO.

Microwaves were supposed to change the world too...but it only made us fatter and our food tastes like shit now.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. procam's Avatar
    Imagine this could totally change the auto industry and the dependance on ALL oil -- we could develop cars that could run on freeways with electromagnetic fields from the powerlines running along side them and zoom zoom zoom you are on your way you could be billed per mile by an onboard computer that communicates with the power companies :morning:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    Microwaves were supposed to change the world too...but it only made us fatter and our food tastes like shit now.
    Actually to be fair, microwaves didnt do that, the food manufacturers did.

The companies who produce the foodstuffs in the United States are more concerned about their profits rather than putting out a product that is 'good' for the consumer.

You only have to look at half of the shit they put in it, even FRESH VEGETABLES to see that is true, i mean fresh veggies arent supposed to have ANYTHING in them, they are supposed to come right out of the field, in to the store, in to our refrigerators then we're supposed to cook and eat them.

Instead they spray them with so much crap to make their shelf life longer, make them brighter, bigger, juicier, etc

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post

Agreed.

With have so much waves already, when my microwave is working I'm standing 6 feet away at least...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by procam View Post
    Imagine this could totally change the auto industry and the dependance on ALL oil -- we could develop cars that could run on freeways with electromagnetic fields from the powerlines running along side them and zoom zoom zoom you are on your way you could be billed per mile by an onboard computer that communicates with the power companies :morning:
    Nah, because they can easily make cars that work on vegetable oil or electricity that will lessen our dependence on foreign oil but the government wouldn't get their cut of the profits so the rest of us have to suffer.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com