Thread: Trusting people with important business that you only know on ICQ

Trusting people with important business that you only know on ICQ

After a recent experience with someone on ICQ that I thought was a great person/empolyee, but ended up being completely irrational and short triggered I was wondering: how many of your do important business on ICQ with people you've never met in person?

I don't mean trading traffic or things that couldn't put your business in jeapordy. I mean things like giving access to your server, discussing future business plans to be implemented by them, etc.

Does anyone here trust people with important business that you only know on ICQ or do you wait to meet them in person at a show or private meeting? After all, they could seem completely normal on ICQ, but in person be a twitching crackhead for all you know right?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    This biz is no different than any otherso, I always follow up any icq, telephone calls or e-mail introductions with a background check

I verify that person's business relationships with others prior to to any dealings

In short, if the person has screwed others in the past, I'll find out - if they are cool, I'll consider starting a relationship

just common sense

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I can honestly say i have NEVER given anyone access to any of our servers in the last 8 years, for any reason whatsoever with the exception of Ray from StrongBox.

I have even had family members ask if they could upload/download something via FTP and ive told them no.

Right now, there are a total of 3 people that can access any of our servers, the hosting company, Gary and myself, even Gary doesnt have full access as he can only get on the 1 server where he has sites hosted.

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by A_DeAngelo View Post
    This biz is no different than any otherso, I always follow up any icq, telephone calls or e-mail introductions with a background check
    What if they claim to be breaking into the industry and seem pretty knowledgeable in computers, photography, cinematography, etc.? If they haven't worked with anyone else in the industry then how do you do a thorough background check with their mainstream work without comprising them?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    that's a difficult thing.

You can of course do a google search and try to match them via IM name or email addy or whatever and see what else they've posted, but other than that, it really boils down to your gut instincts and what information you're able to get from them.

We aren't as cautious as Lee, but we do try and take reasonable precautions. And perhaps this is shortsighted, but I'm also a lot less likely to grant server access (of any sort) to someone outside the US, simply because I have fewer options (legally) if there's a problem. So far, at least, we've never been screwed over badly.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    You can of course do a google search and try to match them via IM name or email addy or whatever and see what else they've posted, but other than that, it really boils down to your gut instincts and what information you're able to get from them.
    Right all of that was done and the guy put on a good show for a few months and then just imploaded on himself. In those few months he's started working with others as well and it just got me thinking more in depth of how we do business online and how much we can be damaged if things go awry, with the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    So far, at least, we've never been screwed over badly.
    Same here (knock on wood). This particular experienced just raised my awareness.

Note: To those who've ICQ'd this is a private matter as far as the persons identity is concerned so please stop asking. I don't think he's a threat to anyone in the industry from what I've seen to date.

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I can honestly say i have NEVER given anyone access to any of our servers in the last 8 years, for any reason whatsoever with the exception of Ray from StrongBox.
    Ray, Mansion productions, and this person were the only two I've allowed access to my server.

Not everyone is a programmer though Lee, when we hire someone to install something on our server what are we to do to protect ourselves?

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    Not everyone is a programmer though Lee, when we hire someone to install something on our server what are we to do to protect ourselves?
    I have actually refused to buy scripts in the past because the company selling them refused to let me install them myself.

Even when I've had custom programming done, i always get the coder to install the scripts on their server first and tweak anything, only then will i ask for the script to be sent to me, along with a good set of instructions on how to install it.

After its up and running on my server, they get paid whats owed.

We work in a business where letting people you dont trust (or know very well) have access to your server is just crazy, one wrong move and they could, in theory destroy years worth of work in a few minutes and potentially put you out of business.

Actually, i lie thinking about it, i did once ask NatNet to create a new FTP username for this one programmer who only had access to a specific domain and only after i asked NatNet to do a complete backup of the domains content prior to me sending him the FTP info but, he only had upload permissions and didnt have delete permissions on anything.. If he needed something deleting or over-writing, he had to ICQ me to get it done.

Regards,

Lee

i've never found that meeting people in person helps much. it certainly hasn't helped anyone i know. it DOES help them to feel more comfortable, but that's not necessarily a plus.

i prefer to get to know someone over time. over icq is fine, but i need to get to know them gradually. maybe give them small jobs regularly and see if they're reliable. then slightly bigger jobs. and so on. programmers are the hardest to find. i generally start out by seeing if my host can do what i need. i generally try to not need any programs

Gay is the new Black
    I think it should be said. The person in question is Me.

Every story has two sides. Every side is looking out for their best interest. Take from each side, what you will.

First, Employment is not an issue here; I built a template and installed a CMS. This hardly defines me as an Employee.

Server level access was granted for instillation of the CMS software. Server access that was needed to install the CMS because the “client” couldn’t seem to configure their database or iterate the proper requests to their host.

Unfortunately, the client’s server configuration doesn’t allow the root access to a domain without needing access to the master account. An issue the “Client” needs to work on in the future.

Payment was rendered on work completion.

This is the extent of “Employment” and hardly qualifies me as an Employee of client.

“being completely irrational and short triggered”

Over a PERSONAL issue, I issued a C&D on our e-friendship.

“I mean things like giving access to your server,”

Server access was answered, however I’ll add to it: The access was issued 7 months ago and you can clearly see, through your server history, I only accessed the domain I was working on. I last accessed the server 6.5 months ago. Your server, your sites, your content are all in tact, unaltered and un accessed by me or anyone I associate with.

“discussing future business plans to be implemented by them, etc.”

Another unfortunate situation where I’m sure I will be accused of ripping your ideas and not giving you credit.

“What if they claim to be breaking into the industry and seem pretty knowledgeable in computers, photography, cinematography, etc.?

I think I was breaking into the industry 2 years ago if I remember right.

If they haven't worked with anyone else in the industry then how do you do a thorough background check with their mainstream work without comprising them?

Again, Unfortunate situation where I have worked with other people in and out of the industry but it’s not openly talked about on the forums for your viewing pleasure.

Right all of that was done and the guy put on a good show for a few months and then just imploded on himself.

So a few months? I have been talking to you VIA the forum and ICQ for over 2 years. My imploding, as you call it, was on our friendship.

Note: To those who've ICQ'd this is a private matter as far as the persons identity is concerned so please stop asking. I don't think he's a threat to anyone in the industry from what I've seen to date.

There were other people involved in the “Business” situation where server access was needed. Therefore my identity is known.

gaybucks_chip stated: So far, at least, we've never been screwed over badly.

you reply:

Same here (knock on wood). This particular experienced just raised my awareness.

Note how people are sending you ICQ messages on the issue. You state this situation as if you HAVE been screwed over by someone in the business. That I Screwed you, Flaked out on you, Imploded, irrational and short triggered.

At the end of the day, I will probably be blacklisted by people who don’t fully understand the situation and know this was a personal matter between you and me on an e-friendship level.

What will be taken from this situation is simply how I fucked you over in business.

This situation is NOT a public matter and I’m at fault by posting this reply as much as you are by posting your “question” with a personal fuck you to me, knowing I read the forum and wouldn’t answer your ICQ.

I apologies to everyone and will not continue posting to this thread.

Squirt, Please don’t reply to me asking for more answers to see if I’ll reply. Be an adult and take a private situation to a private area.