Thread: Panda AV blocks CCbill cookie

Xstr8guy

Panda AV blocks CCbill cookie

CCbill affiliates, have you noticed a decrease in signups from CCbill programs lately?

I recently installed Panda Antivirus on one of my desktops. I got tired of PC-cillian trying to take over every aspect of my computer and it was an absolute resource hog. Panda promised to be leaner and better. And overall, I've been quite happy with it... until now.

I followed a ref link of a site that my partner is promoting. And I noticed a little box pop up in the lower right of my screen saying something like "spyware blocked". I've seen that box popup many, many times before but never really paid notice. Today, I clicked on that little box to get 'more details' and it BLOCKING THE CCBILL COOKIE!

I almost never run my AV software at full tilt. I usually relax the settings somewhat so my surfing exerience isn't disrupted by AV software. But with Panda, I'm not even sure if you can allow all cookies easily. I am getting other cookies in my cache, so it's not blocking everything. But there is something about the CCbill cookie that Panda hates... and that SUCKS!

How long have you been gay?
    Thats terrible news.

It's amazing this obsession with cookies among antivirus/spyware program writers. It's like they just add these checks to beef up the "detected threats" list to make the software look more useful and "find more pests" than the competition.

One of the first thing I do when I install a new AV product is to turn off all cookie checks.

I'm not promoting many ccbill sponsors so I have not seen a dent in my sales. I just hope Panda won't be getting too large share of the market.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Might be worthwhile for ccbill to contact Panda and first ask nicely and then send a cease-and-desist if they don't fix the problem.

ccbill tracks by both cookie and IP. Cookie tracking is immediate and all non-tracked signups are then batched through IP comparisons to ensure affiliates are properly credited.

If panda blocks a ccbill cookie, its not a big deal, the affiliate will get credit for their sales....but it may just take a few hours for them to show up in ccbill's stats.

cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    CCbill affiliates, have you noticed a decrease in signups from CCbill programs lately?

I recently installed Panda Antivirus on one of my desktops. I got tired of PC-cillian trying to take over every aspect of my computer and it was and absolute resource hog. Panda promised to be leaner and better. And overall, I've been quite happy with it... until now.

I followed a ref link of a site that my partner is promoting. And I noticed a little box pop up in the lower right of my screen saying something like "spyware blocked". I've seen that box popup many, many times before but never really paid notice. Today, I clicked on that little box to get 'more details' and it BLOCKING THE CCBILL COOKIE!

I almost never run my AV software at full tilt. I usually relax the settings somewhat so my surfing exerience isn't disrupted by AV software. But with Panda, I'm not even sure if you can allow all cookies easily. I am getting other cookies in my cache, so it's not blocking everything. But there is something about the CCbill cookie that Panda hates... and that SUCKS!
    we generally track by means other than just pure cookie, thus (not sure if you checked) you should still have gotten credit for the sale

we are working on our new affiliate system and its going to be released toward the end of the summer, so we are currently exploring new, different and innovative ways of tracking traffic

btw, first thought that popped into my head when i saw this thread was that i wasnt sure why you just singled us out, we are not the only ones out there that control affiliate systems

Quote Originally Posted by corvett View Post
    btw, first thought that popped into my head when i saw this thread was that i wasnt sure why you just singled us out, we are not the only ones out there that control affiliate systems
    i just re-read the thread, are you saying that it affects our cookies differently then other tracking systems cookies? we may have to test this out

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by corvett View Post
    i just re-read the thread, are you saying that it affects our cookies differently then other tracking systems cookies? we may have to test this out
    Yes, with 'other' billers or NATS or MPA3, I don't get the same pop-up warning that the CCbill cookie triggers with Panda. I even get the warning when I log into my CCbill admin. It seems like CCbill cookies are on Panda AV's shit list.

Xstr8guy
    Btw, I will test it now. I've been dying to join NewYorkStraightMen for a while now. I'll report my findings here in this thread.

Xstr8guy
    I signed up to NYSM from my partners affiliate code about 5 minutes ago. And so far it is not showing in his stats.

I sigend up to NYSM from my partners affiliate code about 5 minutes ago. And so far it is not showing in his stats.
    lets give it a bit more time....

Xstr8guy
    It showed up! It took about 10 minutes to show in the stats.

Xstr8guy
    My apologies to CCbill for starting this thread. As Luke pointed out, CCbill uses other methods to track sales other than just cookies.

But it does bring up a good point with all of these Anti-virus programs that come pre-installed with paranoid settings. Surely it can't be good for affiliate tracking.

It showed up! It took about 10 minutes to show in the stats.
    My apologies to CCbill for starting this thread. As Luke pointed out, CCbill uses other methods to track sales other than just cookies.

But it does bring up a good point with all of these Anti-virus programs that come pre-installed with paranoid settings. Surely it can't be good for affiliate tracking.
    no apology needed, imo discussions such as these help the community understand and watch for potential issues

but thanks for offering it

btw, you guys are going to love our new affiliate system

awesome,

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

DRAMA!!!

LOL

Nah thats good, at least CCBill became aware of a potential issue, even if it really wasnt

Regards,

Lee

the one thing I really love about ccbill (and epoch) is that they always get on these forums to help out and to deal with questions quite fast