Thread: Gay Marriage Hits New York

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Gay Marriage Hits New York

In an historic vote late in the evening on Tuesday, June 19, the New York State Assembly approved legislation guaranteeing marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples.

The measure was approved by a vote of 85 to 61 after a floor debate that lasted more than three hours. Four Republicans joined 81 Democrats in supporting the bill. The nays included 38 Republicans and 23 Democrats.
    The marriage equality legislation was introduced by Democratic Governor Eliot Spitzer on April 27, and sponsored in the Assembly by Daniel O'Donnell, an Upper West Side Democrat. O'Donnell and his partner John Banta were among the plaintiffs denied marriage rights in a ruling last July by New York's highest court.

"It is extraordinarily important to have actual, real live gay people in the legislative body who can speak to the issue," O'Donnell told Gay City News hours before the vote. "It gets past the esoteric arguments about equality, which are important, but they are not the same thing as saying, 'I want this.' It's not the same as, 'This is important to me.' On the floor today, I'm going to talk about John and how we've been together for 26 years and about my fear of going out one day and getting hit by a bus and not having taken care of my partner."

In moving comments on the Assembly floor at around 8:30 in the evening, O'Donnell spoke of the devastation he felt at age 12 losing his mother to cancer, the person who he thought would teach him how to love. But, he said, "Love found me in the body of a man" his first day of college at the Catholic University of America.

"I could not have survived my late teens and my 20s if I did not have John Banta in my life," O'Donnell said in the concluding moments of the floor debate. "What I learned from him was that I should love myself. No one believed in me, no one taught me what he has taught me."

Approval of the measure in the Assembly, even with its overwhelming Democratic majority, marks a dramatic turnaround for the cause of marriage equality in New York, coming less than a year after the Court of Appeals, in a 4 to 2 vote, rejected the claim that the fundamental right to marry recognized in the state Constitution extends to an individual's right to marry someone of the same sex.

Prior to this week, only in California - where the Senate and Assembly passed a gay marriage bill in 2005, which was vetoed by Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger - has a legislative body in the U.S. affirmatively embraced equal civil marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples.

Evan Wolfson, executive director of Freedom to Marry, a leading national advocacy organization, said that the progress in New York - coupled with the vote last week by the Massachusetts Legislature rejecting a 2008 ballot question that would have overturned marriage equality in that state - reflects "a new chapter" in the civil rights struggle.

"Fresh from the historic Massachusetts victory last week, we now have a state that many thought couldn't do it become the second legislative body in the country to step toward marriage equality," he told Gay City News. "The fact that states such as New York, California, and New Jersey are so dramatically within reach ought to inspire all of us, gay and non-gay people, funders, and allies to go the extra mile now, and really work for what is now within our reach."

Wolfson warned, however, that unless the gay community and its allies press well beyond "a business-as-usual, under-funded" marriage equality drive "there are battles that we could lose."

Alan Van Capelle, executive director of the Empire State Pride Agenda (ESPA), the state's gay lobby group that worked aggressively since Spitzer's inauguration to move the legislation, said, "The Assembly said with a big exclamation point that the issue of marriage equality is not a question of if, it's a question of when. We now have a governor and an Assembly who have stood up very courageously for gay and lesbian families. Now our attention turns squarely to the state Senate."

The June 19 vote capped a hectic, two-month campaign waged by O'Donnell, other Assembly supporters of gay marriage, most notably Dick Gottfried, the Chelsea Democrat who first introduced a marriage equality bill in 2002, ESPA, and the grassroots advocacy group Marriage Equality New York.

Their key goal was identifying more than the 76-vote majority among the Democratic caucus of 108 members, so that if Speaker Sheldon Silver, of the Lower East Side, brought the measure to the floor it would be assured of victory even if no Republicans supported it.

Prior to Spitzer's introduction of his marriage bill, ESPA and Gottfried had identified more than 40 co-sponsors and 62 aye votes. O'Donnell's job was to add more sponsors - in the end, at least 54 of his colleagues signed on - and to increase the number of yes votes to some comfortable margin above 76.

Key political leaders were brought into the fight, most prominently Lieutenant Governor David Paterson and New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who lobbied wavering city Democrats, with the help, she told Gay City News several weeks ago, of Council colleagues who represented the same neighborhoods.

Advocates this week also sent a call list to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who had pledged to lend his support to the effort. Late last month, Quinn said that the mayor frequently asked her what he could be doing.

In a largely decorous debate on the Assembly floor, in which more than two-dozen members spoke, comments returned several times to key questions - whether the law would require clergy or municipal officials to perform ceremonies for gay or lesbian couples against their personal beliefs; whether civil unions could adequately address the concerns the bill aims to meet; and, with widely divergent conclusions, what role religious belief and tradition should play in the deliberations.

O'Donnell as the bill's sponsor answered questions from his colleagues, emphasizing that neither religious nor public officials are required to perform any marriage ceremony under current statute and that nothing would change on that score.

He also talked about evidence emerging from New Jersey's four-month experience with civil unions, in which both gay advocates and state officials have received hundreds of complaints from gay and lesbian couples who say that employers and institutions such as hospitals have not treated them as spouses, as the law requires.

Several assemblymembers who spoke in opposition focused on religious concerns, none more adamantly than Dov Hikind, a Brooklyn Democrat. Holding up a letter from four Jewish organizations urging defeat of the bill, he said he would not change his vote "unless God sends me a message in the next two hours."

Hikind pointed to recent articles in Time magazine and the Boston Globe that he said discussed the potential legalization of incest.

"Maybe we should include incest in this bill, get it all over," Hikind said. "It is coming."

Brian Kolb, of upstate Canandaigua, spoke of his traditional German Irish Catholic upbringing and said, "When we talk about harm or threat, I don't feel it in a physical sense, but I feel it in an emotional sense. I do feel threatened. I do feel harm... It is a direct challenge to the way I was brought up and what I believe about God. I cannot fundamentally support a bill that tears at my soul."

In response, Deborah Glick, a West Village Democrat who was the first openly lesbian or gay member of the Legislature, said, "I certainly grew up in a family that was as traditional as any represented here," and then pointedly added, "When you talk about things that tear at the soul, I understand that."

Several supporters of the bill spoke of their religious faith, emphasizing not only that their values informed their support of marriage equality but also the importance of balancing private belief and public responsibility.

Hakeem Jeffries, a Brooklyn Democrat, said he grew up a Baptist and is raising his children in the same faith, but that the First Amendment both protects religious leaders from having to participate in any weddings of which they don't approve and shields civil institutions such as marriage from church dictates.

José Peralta, a Queens Democrat, explained that "as a Catholic and a Latino, I was raised conservatively," but went on to say that part of that tradition involves treating "my neighbor just as I would like to be treated."

Joe Lentol, a Brooklyn Democrat, acknowledging that he had come a long way on gay rights in his years in the Assembly, told the chamber that he attended a Catholic university and was steeped in "a tradition [that] might have told me this is the wrong thing." He went on to say, however, "Our lord told me we should love one another and we should treat everybody equally. We should protect each other in this life. What does that mean if we hide behind tradition and use tradition against the very thing our religion taught us?"
    Two of the most compelling statements came from among the handful of Republicans supporting the marriage bill. Dierdre Scozzafava, who represents a district that borders the St. Lawrence River, said that the "easy vote politically" would have been to oppose the bill and tell her gay constituents in her hometown of 5,000 that she would work to win them civil unions.

But, after a long talk last week with one gay man back home in Gouverneur, Scozzafava said, she realized, "What might be the easiest thing to do politically is not the right thing."

Teresa Sayward, a Republican from the Saratoga area, explained her yes vote by talking about her 40-year-old son.

"I knew when my son was very young that he was different," she told a hushed chamber. "Not that he was effeminate or that he spoke differently. It was something only a mother would know."

Sayward also recalled him coming home from school at age six asking what a "fag" is and why other boys pushed him down on the ground.
    The question, she said, "is nothing more than a civil rights issue."
    "Let us search our hearts tonight," she added.

With Assembly passage secured, marriage equality advocates now turn their attention to the tougher task of moving the state Senate, where Republicans hold a two-seat majority and whose leader, Joe Bruno, from upstate Rensselaer County, has stated his firm opposition, which he reiterated the morning of the vote.

Senator Tom Duane, an out gay Chelsea Democrat, sponsors a marriage bill that is nearly identical to the Spitzer-O'Donnell measure that passed the Assembly, for which he has lined up 18 co-sponsors in the 62-seat chamber.
    Nobody expects that bill to make significant headway, however, as long as Bruno stays in charge of the Senate.

Gottfried, saying of the Assembly debate, "I think every one in the room really understood that we were doing something historic," held back from making a direct political appeal for a Democratic takeover of the Senate.

"The one thing for certain is that the Senate can no longer say, 'Where's the Assembly?'" he said.

ESPA's Van Capelle took a harder line.

"The Senate leadership has left gay and lesbian families out in the cold," he said moments after the Assembly vote. "If that leadership is not ready to change that, then our community needs to shop around for new leadership."

http://www.gaycitynews.com/site/news...d=568864&rfi=6

Well it looks like equal rights for marriage may very well be going ahead in New York after this vote today.

Now we just have to work on the rest of the country

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Good gawd, that is a long article. So can us homos get married in New York or not?

thanks, lee. it's not there yet, but the new york state assembly voting this way gives me hope - not just about gay marriage, but about equal rights for all of us.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    The Governor would sign the bill but the leader of the Senate has said he will not bring this bill to a vote in the Senate -- so it would die.

I think a lot depends on Governor Spitzer's support for the bill. In Massachusetts, the current governor lobbied very hard and helped defeat the anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment even when it looked like it was going to pass. If Gov. Spitzer throws his weight behind this bill, he could get it to pass the New York Senate and it then it would become law. However, right now this bill is not even going to get a vote in the Senate so don't start making Niagara Falls NY wedding plans yet.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

How long have you been gay?
    whatever makes them happy. I don't care.

albertsnaked
    This is awesome!

One more step forward!

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Im playing a wait and see, I'm in new york. But it has to be on the federal level! I know baby steps but it's the year 2007 all ready!