Thread: Michael Moore's "Sicko"

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

Michael Moore's "Sicko"

Just curious if anyone else has seen "Sicko" yet, either online or at one of the sneak previews.

The entire Gaybucks staff - all 4 of us - went to see it last night at the "sneak peak" in Sacramento, both because we were interested in the topic and because we enjoy Michael Moore's filmmaking.

It's both a powerful commentary on the state of healthcare in the US compared to other countries, and an entertaining film. I'd highly recommend it.

Thoughts?

MyLifeUncut
    I saw the previews for that and was wondering how it would end up. Good to hear it's good. Maybe I'll have to check it out...even though Moore is kinda annoying at times.

-me

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Ive seen it and i must admit, i was pretty impressed with it, he [Moore] really did seem to let the facts speak for themselves this time around.

Regards,

Lee

MyLifeUncut
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Ive seen it and i must admit, i was pretty impressed with it, he [Moore] really did seem to let the facts speak for themselves this time around.
    That's a change. He usually gives good facts, but ends up putting a very liberal spin on it and make it what he wants it to be.

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeUncut View Post
    That's a change. He usually gives good facts, but ends up putting a very liberal spin on it and make it what he wants it to be.
    I hope he's learned his lesson with that. People totally dismiss what he's trying to say when he overly slants like that

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeUncut View Post
    Yeah i know, im not really a big Moore fan but i heard so many good reviews about Sicko i just had to watch it and was pleasantly suprised by it too.

Regards,

Lee

MyLifeUncut
    I guess that means I should go shell out the 4 bucks and go watch it then....

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Michael is very clear that he doesn't make unbiased documentaries; his films are op-ed pieces with an agenda, and he's never hidden that.

"Sicko" is designed to expose the nastiness of the for-profit healthcare system in the US and how it maims and kills hundreds of thousands of people each year.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" was an op-ed piece, but was completely factually accurate; he hired fact checkers from the New Yorker magazine to vet everything to ensure there were no errors.

People may not like his way of presenting the facts, or of glossing over points that don't support his viewpoint, but it's hard to successfully argue any of the fundamental points he was making in his films... remember that he was one of the early ones to say that we were going to a war for which there was no justifiable reason, and the first to expose to mainstream media a lot of the facts surrounding the 9/11 issue.

"Sicko" is a lot less polarizing, unless you happen to work for an HMO. He makse a strong case for doing away with our current healthcare system in favor of one that's more compassionate and focused on the needs of everyone, rather than profits.

Gay is the new Black
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    "Fahrenheit 9/11" was an op-ed piece, but was completely factually accurate; he hired fact checkers from the New Yorker magazine to vet everything to ensure there were no errors.
    you should watch FahrenHype

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    I still think Moore is cool tho. just wish he could make his points without going over-the-top. If he did that he'd still have hard-hitting films that would be immune to a lot of the criticisms.

the queerest straight girl in the world...
    You know, a lot of the criticism of Mike Moore is the equivalent of the swiftboating of John Kerry.... tell enough lies, throw around enough invective "he's fat, he lies, he's making PROPGANDA" - and use this - rather than factual information, to undermine what the man is saying.

In the main stream media, we hear, all the time, how superior our health care system is. We hear, on a regular basis, from unnamed or uncheckable sources how this person died of cancer while waiting for treatment, or how that person came to the US because they couldn't get health care in Canada.

Many of you seem to assume that if you hear it on the news, its somehow unbiased.

We KNOW Moore is biased. We KNOW what his biases are. His work is in issue advocacy - and as long as he has his facts checked, he has NO obligation to be "fair and balanced" - nor does he even, unlike your nightly news anchor, ever pretend to be.

Thanks God for Michael Moore, because this guy is an American Hero.

How long have you been gay?
    Hello Chip,

Please contact me on icq, #98752582

Andrew
    I haven't seen it yet but I heard it's fantastic so I look forward to watching it

This film should do better than ferenheight. And I don't think folks will find this one as easy to make attempts at tearing down.

MyLifeUncut
    Quote Originally Posted by SPACE GLIDER View Post
    This film should do better than ferenheight. And I don't think folks will find this one as easy to make attempts at tearing down.
    Yeah, I've heard he looks at it from just about every angle he can with this movie.