Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strongbox Warnings!

Xstr8guy

Strongbox Warnings!

What does it mean when you suddenly start getting tons of different Strongbox warning notices? We maybe get 6 a day. But right now we're getting new ones everytime I refresh my email.

The warnings are for different usernames and password combinations.

HELP!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    It means someone is trying to access your members area without a working username/password probably using a bruteforce attack.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    All the warnings are for different IP adresses and usernames. So it doesn't look like it is small group of individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    All the warnings are for different IP adresses and usernames. So it doesn't look like it is small group of individuals.
    It could be 1 person using thousands of proxys

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It could be 1 person using thousands of proxys

Regards,

Lee
    And a lot of different countries... but many from China.

Xstr8guy
    The attack stopped after a legitmate user/pass was used from Slovakia. That member has NEVER logged in until today according to Strongbox and he lives in the UK.

How would they actually guess a correct user/pass?

sounds like someone going thru a list of 'known good' userid/password combinations, members have a habit of reusing userid/passwords from site to site and once one gets known it gets added to a list and then the hitbotting via proxies starts.

I would keep an eye on that one that got thru!

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    That's some scary stuff. You have to look over shoulder (and sometimes under desks) every day

raymor
    Prescript: The last paragraph of this post is important reading for any adult webmaster,
    using Strongbox or not.

There are two main types of notices you may receive. One type will mention an
    apparent brute force attack in the email. Those indicate that indeed someone
    is probably trying a brute force attack, or to be more technically correct a dictionary
    attack. That's really nothing to worry about most of the time. In the rare case
    where the attacker is able to put enough load on the server to make it noticeably
    slower or the attack goes on for more than a couple of hours you may want to take
    some action. If the attack is not noticeably slowing the server or going on for days,
    just smile and be glad that Strongbox is protecting you.

If some action IS needed, look at the Strongbox reports, checking to see if just a few IPs
    are responsible for most of the attack. If so, those few IPs can be directly blocked via
    .htaccess or better yet via your firewall. On the other hand if the attempts are fairly
    evenly spread over thousands of IPs, we have some addon scripts you can use to
    help Strongbox more efficiently handle such a huge attack by automatically adding IPs
    to .htaccess or preferably to your firewall in an efficient manner.

On the other hand, there is another type of email that warns you of compromised
    passwords. If you get many of these with different user names that means many of
    your passwords are compromised. Most likely, the attacker has found some security
    hole in some PHP script you use and used it to download your whole password file.
    Because your password file is using decades old encryption that can be easily cracked,
    the attacker then decrypts all of your passwords and posts them on password sites.
    This can be a real headache. If this has NOT happened to you yet, imagine what it
    would be like if it did and consider upgrading your processor's password management
    script to our improved version with strong encryption. More information on how to prevent
    that and what to do if it has already happened is available on our site:

http://bettercgi.com/strongbox/passgen/
    http://bettercgi.com/strongbox/passg...adyhacked.html

raymor
    I forgot to mention I also concur with Luke's assesment. If the emails indicated a brute
    force attack and then just as it stopped you see a suspicious log in I would take a very
    close look at that member. How long have they been a member, according to your
    processor? Does the name, email adress, etc. LOOK suspicious? If they look to be OK,
    I might send myself an email or whatever to remind myself to check the Strongbox reports
    a few days later for any suspicious activity under that user name.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by raymor View Post
    I forgot to mention I also concur with Luke's assesment. If the emails indicated a brute
    force attack and then just as it stopped you see a suspicious log in I would take a very
    close look at that member. How long have they been a member, according to your
    processor? Does the name, email adress, etc. LOOK suspicious? If they look to be OK,
    I might send myself an email or whatever to remind myself to check the Strongbox reports
    a few days later for any suspicious activity under that user name.
    I deleted the user that managed to get in. An hour or two later the attack started again but quit after about another hour. So I think he just finally gave up. But overall, we have recently been receiving more warnings than usual. I guess maybe that's because our site has become more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    I guess maybe that's because our site has become more popular.
    Or because you have been removing your content off the blogs that steal it.

I noticed after i started sending DMCA notices out to various places, rapidshare, blogspot, myspace, etc that the amount of StrongBox notifications we got increased for a couple of days.

Im wondering if that could be what you've seen happening too.

Regards,

Lee

blah blah blah...
    Can someone tell me why I NEVER get email warnings? Even though my admin stats indicate login attempts by bad passwords/users? Is there a way to enable this feature?

I just bought SB last week so just trying to figure it out.

Thanks

Allan

DIXTER.COM
    Dixter.com Affiliate Program
    50/50 Rev Share Program with 5% Webmaster Referrals

raymor
    Quote Originally Posted by GPallan View Post
    Can someone tell me why I NEVER get email warnings? Even though my admin stats indicate login attempts by bad passwords/users? Is there a way to enable this feature?

I just bought SB last week so just trying to figure it out.

Thanks

Allan
    By default Strongbox will email you if a user name or IP is suspended or disabled for
    abuse, or under certain error conditions where soemthing on the server is broken.
    It will NOT by default email you every time someone mistypes their user name or
    password. That happens a lot, so most webmasters don't want to be emailed 100
    times a day because someone made a typo. You CAN set it to email you for
    incorrect user names, incorrect passwords, or 23 other conditons.
    See this page for how:
    http://bettercgi.com/cgi-bin/wiki/wi...ication_Emails

Xstr8guy
    Ray, how can you change the email address where SB sends the notices?