Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industry Awards

Industry Awards

How important is winning to you? Do you think the surfers care if you've won an award, or is winning more of a way to have the work you've done recognized within the industry?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Interesting question, seems that while it might boost one's own ego by being nominated, even winning, I doubt if it means diddley to the surfer, and if it did matter, wouldn't most sites be jumping up and down to get nominated?

In short while I think an Academy Award or People's Choice Award might mean increased sales at the box office, the adult awards are just for show and status.. but just my opinion :innocent:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Reason I asked is because the cybersocket nominations is open
    http://www.cybersocketwebawards.com/nominate.php

I agree that winning certainly boosts the ego, just not sure how it also translates into business or money perks for the winner. Any past winners care to share the "after the win" effects?

Making Pain Pay!
    Bec,

I used to care a lot about the awards...and was always very pleased to get nominated for things like Cybersockets Best Fetish Site, and GayVN's Specialty Video of the year...

However, at the AVN show in Vegas last year I was told point blank by a ad rep sitting behind a rather well known magazine table that I did't spend enough on ads to ever win...so now I don't give a shit one way or the other.

I can tell you though that being nominated did nothing that I could see for increased traffic or sales...but I can't tell you about winning...because I don't spend enough on ads to find out.

Sometimes I still put up my cybersocket button...but I haven't yet this year...and may not. I think I am bitter. (And for the record it was not Cybersocket that told me I did not spend enough to win...although I was once told that by my old Cybersocket ad rep that with a certain ad buy I could be promised a nomination...not sure if he was joking or not.)

- Michael
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    He wasn't joking.

If you look at the history of who has won what award (and how some of the winners are grossly out-of-category compared to some of the nominees) you'll understand more clearly.

That's one of the things I really hate about the industry.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    He wasn't joking.
    Indeed, im not even going to get started on this topic because it would only be considered 'drama' LOL

Regards,

Lee

I was wondering if that side of "winning" would come into play on this thread... it's not the first time I've heard that for some of the awards, it's not how many nominations you get, or the quality of the site/product nominated, but who you know/support that tips the scale on the final vote.

I think our Cybersocket award last year opened up heaps of opportunities and helped us get more business, plus I love the look of the big award sitting on my desk - its inspiration.

And, no, I did not spend a dime on advertising last year either, so the whole pay-to-win discussion in this thread is b.s. imho.

cheers,
    Luke

But Luke, lets be honest here...

How many other predominantly GAY marketed hosting companies can you name?

Regards,

Lee

adammalejames
    We have tried advertising in cybersocket a few times, but are certainly not a high value account yet have won 9 awards in the last 8 years. I think the cybersockets are actually legit based on the online voting. As for do surfers care about the awards? We have tested displaying the award and found that if we put it on our shopping cart page we get a slight bump in conversion. Must be the 3rd party trust factor. The problem is that the average surfer isnt familiar with the awards like they are the Oscars or Golden Globes so you dont get much "wow they won a Grabby" effect.

Xstr8guy
    UKnakedmen was nominated for (I think) 6 Cybersocket awards last year. We didn't win anything. We were nominated even though we've never (before or since) been approached about advertising with Cybersocket.

We didn't even nominate ourselves or campaign our members to do so. We did put up a button after we were nominated. But I'm sure they sent us more traffic then we returned to them.

I'm with Luke here. I don't think the Cybersocket awards are as dishonest as many make them out to be.

DouglasSocket

Cybersocket Web Awards

Hello Everyone, :angel:
    I just wanted to take a moment and say thank you to GWW for allowing this thread to go on. I am so happy there is so much excitement around the up coming awards this Fall. it is going to be a great success and I want to wish you all the best of luck in advance. There are soooo many GREAT GREAT websites out there and as we know its about getting your members to vote for you... So put up banners and get out the VOTE!!!

XStr8Guy from UKNakedMen, I would love to set you up with advertising. *wink*

Okay Boys I will check back soon, until then keep it clean!!!

:troll:

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasSocket View Post
    Hello Everyone, :angel:
    I just wanted to take a moment and say thank you to GWW for allowing this thread to go on. I am so happy there is so much excitement around the up coming awards this Fall. it is going to be a great success and I want to wish you all the best of luck in advance. There are soooo many GREAT GREAT websites out there and as we know its about getting your members to vote for you... So put up banners and get out the VOTE!!!

XStr8Guy from UKNakedMen, I would love to set you up with advertising. *wink*

Okay Boys I will check back soon, until then keep it clean!!!

:troll:
    Now, see that is what has me wondering all about these so called awards. Here is a discussion about the value of it, and the response is rather tepid at best, skirts the question, but then says it is about 'your members voting' for you, so doesn't that in itself, imply that the award is more about how well you get 'your' crew to push for you, that garners the win versus whether or not it is the best?

While awards like the Academy Awards are voted on by members, it is secret ballot, and is supposed to be industry wide, so a win is perhaps a bit more in tune, than if a movie simply had its cast, crew, and family sending in votes.

From what I see, this is like Alexa. Someone sits and hits the F1 key or whatever to show traffic for a site, when in reality it is just one guy, having nothing better to do.

:morning:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasSocket View Post
    So put up banners and get out the VOTE!!!
    So they are a way for CyberSocket to get traffic from the banners people use.

Thanks for letting us know Doug

Get your banners up folks

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gaystoryman View Post
    ...Here is a discussion about the value of it, and the response is rather tepid at best
    our award is fucking fabulous and has opened up loads of opportunities

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader: