Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Where oh where did my internet go...

Oh Where oh where did my internet go...

Ok, short version ... my wife tossed something on the desk ... and hit the modem and router ... and instantly we were off line. Sooooo... (and this was BEFORE coffee) .... I rechecked the cable connections, unplugged this and that and the other thing, rebooted half the house and the only thing I can get is my computer back online via cable modem to router to me.

I figured something was amuk with the cable from her computer to the router, so I picked up a new one. Snapped it in, went to my control panel did the check these connections and they both show activity. Still can't get her online. Then I went to the help area, went and opened the command panel and did the ipconfig etc etc --- it pings nicely. Still can't get her online.

Went back to the control panel, right click and hit the fix this damn thing and it still isn't working ...

Anyone have a clue what I'm missing to try here? Only way I can get her back online is if I directly bypass the router and take the connection off the modem to her system.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The cable might be damaged, i had that happen here once and it ended up being whatever Gary dropped on the cable actually broke it, was the weirdest thing.

Regards,

Lee

That's why I bought a new one ... the other was acting funky ... but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Btw -- it's a 4 port router, and I tried her connection in EVERY port, including the one that worked for me, so that isn't it either.

Roger MGC

cable or ADSL

With cable modem you sometime have to disconnect everything, including taking the battery out of the modem. After it's all disconnected you reconnect your computer, then the hub and then the Modem.

It's to reset the IP. Sometimes with cable modem, people forget to take the battery out to reset.

If it,s adsl and you still have the same problem,hit me on icq and I will get my tech to guide you....

good luck

MyLifeUncut
    If you're still having problems, hit me up on aim and I might be able to help you through a couple things.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    If I'm understanding you, you can ping from her computer to the router and to the public Internet, but you can't actually access email or the web?

If that's the case try and see if you can get to the Net from her computer using directly an IP address (google, for example, can be loaded at http://72.14.207.99/ ) If you can get to Google using the IP but not by typing google.com, then something is wrong with resolution of DNS in her local computer (not in the router or the DNS server, otherwise it would also affect your computer.)

If she cannot ping the public Internet or her router, there might be a DHCP problem with your router, in which case, disconnecting her computer from the router, turning it off, then reconnecting it and rebooting might solve the problem.

If it's none of those, I would point out that we are still in a Mercury retrograde, and equipment fails for no apparent reason during retrogrades, and the problem will most likely go away after July 10th. Sounds really airy-fairy, but my experience is that these weird things happen during retrogrades and not at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    If I'm understanding you, you can ping from her computer to the router and to the public Internet, but you can't actually access email or the web?

If that's the case try and see if you can get to the Net from her computer using directly an IP address (google, for example, can be loaded at http://72.14.207.99/ ) If you can get to Google using the IP but not by typing google.com, then something is wrong with resolution of DNS in her local computer (not in the router or the DNS server, otherwise it would also affect your computer.)

If she cannot ping the public Internet or her router, there might be a DHCP problem with your router, in which case, disconnecting her computer from the router, turning it off, then reconnecting it and rebooting might solve the problem.

If it's none of those, I would point out that we are still in a Mercury retrograde, and equipment fails for no apparent reason during retrogrades, and the problem will most likely go away after July 10th. Sounds really airy-fairy, but my experience is that these weird things happen during retrogrades and not at other times.
    Yes, I can ping the internet and router, but can't access the web with a url. soon as I have coffee (forget going thru yesterday's routine without it!) I'll try the disconnect and shut her system down etc. And yep -- well aware we're in retro ... sigh

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Well, I am not sure what your problem is BUT I had to buy a new router yesterday (not that easy in Argentina) but that was the problem. Routers "die" for some reason...I have had to replace several.

So you might just buy a new on and your problem will be solved. At least it will trouble shoot your issue. If it doesn't fix the problem just take the new on back to Best Buy.

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

have you tried talking nice to it?

MyLifeUncut
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post
    My mom is actually convinced that that works.

Well .. now MY system won't connect unless it's plugged directly to the modem. The computer wanted to download and upgrade some internet connectivity thing, and when it rebooted, I was no longer able to access the internet.

I tried shutting off both systems, unhooked the internet cables, rebooted so they came on without internet connections. Turned them both back off, hooked the computers back up via the router method, and turned both back on. They both show internet access from Control Panel/ Network Connections / Lan but won't connect via the router, only connect if the cat5 is directly into the modem.

As for the undo battery suggestion ... there isn't a battery in either the modem or router.

Luke -- I don't think talking nice will help ... but at this point, I may well give it a try!

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post

Mine works better when I talk naughty to it... :whip:

I had an issue similar, my cable company had me check the modem id or something that they have for each customer. It got changed somehow, which blocked access, think it was in the lan or something under control panel.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    just checked, the issue was it somehow reset the 'physical address' which prevented the access...
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

MyLifeUncut
    You might try logging into the router control panel and restarting the router or restoring the defaults from there. Something may have gotten screwed up in those settings.