Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is your hardware?

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar

How old is your hardware?

How old are the computers you use in your office? And what Operating System, like Windows 98/2000/XP /Vista are you using?

My profession is notoriously behind the times but this industry, in my estimation, is more cutting edge.

What do you all use?
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

MyLifeUncut
    I consider my stuff old. But my laptop is about 2 yrs old and my desktop is about to turn a year old. Both running XP...but I think I'm about to try Vista on my desktop. I think my next purchase will be a mac. It's about time for me to start foolin' around with those more.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    We dont have anything older than 12 months in the office with the exception of our router and HP fax/scanner/printer all-in-one system.

I seem to go through laptops like they are going out of fashion and need to buy a new one every year because of hd errors or broken keys on the keyboard, etc.

Regards,

Lee

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN.
    Got a Mac Pro back in March- OS X 10.4.10

I also have a Toshiba laptop which is a few years old. That computer sucks though.

My Dell Inspiron laptop is about 9 months old and runs XP. I tend to get a new laptop every 1.5 to 2 years. I no longer own any desktop computers, they are too bulky when you move around as much as I do.

slaxxx - my partner had a Toshy, it lasted less than 12 months before we essentially had to throw it away as it was rusting out and the disk was giving more errors than not. I would not recommend a Toshiba to anyone.

Ouch chili, yeah I'm not really a fan- that was not a good purchase. While I haven't had problems like that, it came with so much bloatware and such a strange driver configuration, it was one thing after another.

I didn't use that as my main computer though, as I prefer to work on desktops. Before the Mac Pro I had a Dell Precision workstation which was pretty good, only problem I ever had with it was Dell's motherboard being overly picky about RAM.

Sana Chan
    :cash: Alienware Aurora 7500 :cash: , just over a year old with Win Xp on it. I luvs my alienware.

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    I only suggest Sony! My current sony laptop is almost a year old. My other sony laptop is almost 2 years old and my sony desktop is 5 years old. No problems on any of them ever!

MyLifeUncut - Windows Media Encoder won't run on macOS/x so you would have to run bootcamp or parallels and install Microsoft OS also to make it run.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

Quote Originally Posted by LiveTwinksCam
    MyLifeUncut - Windows Media Encoder won't run on macOS/x so you would have to run bootcamp or parallels and install Microsoft OS also to make it run.
    flip4mac/sorenson

MyLifeUncut
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveTwinksCam View Post
    I'll keep my Windows computer if nothing but just to run the encoder.

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slaxxx View Post
    flip4mac/sorenson
    I don't think that will work. It has to be the windows media encoder, he streams 24x7 "webcam" to our servers, which runs windows media. He isn't reading an encoded file or opening an encoded file.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    XP on all my machines, but I am not one for always upgrading either. I am cheap. so my newest desktop is a few years old. Monitor is new though.

Plan on upgrading to a new desktop by end of the year, if I am convinced that its a viable need. I'd rather spend the money on really important stuff, like toys for the wife... :kickcan:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

MyLifeUncut
    Quote Originally Posted by gaystoryman View Post
    I'd rather spend the money on really important stuff, like toys for the wife... :kickcan:
    That sounds like a good investment to me. The only reason I may upgrade to Vista is I got a copy for 20 bucks from school. :square:

Xstr8guy
    My main desktop is (I think) about 18 months old. It's a really deluxe HP with 2 HD's in RAID 0 array. This was the first computer that I didn't 'step down' to save money. I bought the most computer that I could afford at the time and I have no regrets. But it is starting to show it's age now. I will probably need to replace it in another 6 months. Hopefully Vista will be mature by then.

My laptop is around 9 months old... another HP. I am officially and HP fan now. It's a nice little laptop used mostly for travel and video encoding. It's nearly as fast at encoding video as my desktop.

The third computer is my partner's. It's about 2 years old and was kind of a budget buy Sony desktop. My partner is much less demanding of his computer than I am. It's a nice backup to use for video encoding as well but nothing special.

I've really become fond of HP the past 2 years. They don't seem to be as afraid of the cutting edge as Sony, Dell and Gateway.

Btw, my sister who has a computer programming degree, bought a Gateway last year. It was built and shipped to her and immediately it malfunctioned and refused to burn discs. She tried to fix it (bad drivers) but failed. She returned it for repair. It was returned to her still malfunctioning. I tried to fix it but failed. She went round and round with Gateway until eventually she just threw it away and bought a Sony.

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    I have an Asus laptop. Never heard of them? They are mainly know for motherboards but they make a number of laptops which are sold mostly outside of the USA.

I bought my current laptop a year and 1/2 ago. It is a duo core and was sold as Vista Compatible. I have installed Vista Ultimate on it and it runs great. Very stable and at least as fast as XP.

Just as Luke said, I normally replace my laptop at least every 2 years just because new and better models are introduced. I also travel around so I am into the portable aspect of laptops but with them being as powerful as desktops I would never buy another desktop again.

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com