Thread: Contacted Affiliates

swoop

Contacted Affiliates

For affiliates that join and are doing low traffic and or no sales, what do you think is a fair amount of emails to contact them monthly?

Once a month? Twice?

alwaysgayalways
    As an affiliate, I don't mind weekly e-mails from websites that want to work with me.

Some programs seem to be sending out...daily...e-mail.

But I think weekly is good. I mean...it depends on what you are writing in the e-mail.

If you're just e-mailing them to say "Hi! Send me more traffic!," I would argue that you aren't going to get much.

On the flip side, if you are interested in helping them out with banners/promotional content...go for it. The sites that I put the most time and effort into promoting are the ones where I've had the most interaction with the webmaster. (Manifest Men, College Dudes 24/7)

Good luck!

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    I have to admit (now don't take all his time) J is a GREAT affiliate for us. His is the model that works the very best for us in terms of conversions and retention.

alwaysgayalways
    Sites like Manifest Men and College Dudes 24/7 make it easy for me to help promote them.

I e-mailed one site that I am an affiliate of and asked them if I could be added to the weekly e-mail that they send out to affiliates with information on their updates.

I was told bluntly that they were not sending out e-mails at this time.

The response didn't include any other tips, hints, or information on what they'd be interested in doing to help ME promote THEM. (And I even have a banner on my page for them...so it's not as if they've just been delegated to the link list on the side column with no other promotional efforts.)

I found their claims that they didn't send anything out to be disingenuous at best. I can visit four or five websites/blogs right now that are displaying imagery from the latest updates with appropriate affiliate linkage codes.

So...my basic attitude is...ok...fine. I'll spend my energy promoting someone else.

My blog isn't my job. It's a hobby. And it's a hobby that I love. Any money I make is simply a bonus. Affiliate programs are a great way for me to bring content to my visitors that I find sexy. (And the sexy stuff is what allows me to blog about Battlestar Galactica and not feel guilty about it.)

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rant there.

To reiterate:

I find weekly e-mails with either zipped imagery and descriptions or a link to an affiliate dashboard with appropriate content to be the most helpful. :high:

I find one or two sentence e-mails with "Send 20 sign ups to us by August 1st and win a trip to Maui" to be the least helpful. Especially if the contest isn't backed up with some sort of material to help make a promotional effort successful. :shit:

alwaysgayalways
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgayalways View Post
    Affiliate programs are a great way for me to bring content to my visitors that I find sexy.
    The content that I find sexy, that is. Not the visitors. The sexy content is available to all visitors, irregardless of their personal sexiness. (I still don't think this makes much grammatical sense. I think I'm going to go to bed. :loser: )

BritishTwinks
    Convincing webmasters to send traffic seems like quite hard work. We have a lot of guys who sign up to get an account and then don't send even one hit.

They get to see all our banners beforehand, so I don't understand why.

Maybe we need to provide more promo content.

E-mailing out every month to say what's new sounds like a good idea too.

marcjacob
    These emails go straight into my junk list and dont even get to my inbox anymore. If ive not sent you a hit, ive decided not to use you for whatever reason.

If i got a personal email froma rep saying "i see your not sending us traffic, is there a reason for that?" id be more likely to reply and i have re joined affiliate programs on that basis. Its the "You made zero this period" automated email that i dont like. That doesnt persuade me to start promoting you again.

swoop
    thanks for all the replies. lots of good info here!