Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternatives to norton

Richard Craver

alternatives to norton

i'm way tired of norton antivirus/ internet protection etc.

what are the alternatives and what are u guys using? :bigears:

avast is a free antivirus product (it just requires a yearly free registration and they don't use your info for spam as far as I can tell). It auto-updates daily, has all the various filters (web, mail, etc) and works as good as, if not better, than most pay antivirus products.

here is a direct link to their free home edition: http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

rkobcan

Avast and AVG

Either one are far superior to Norton ---- don't steal the system resources like Norton and have picked up viruses that Norton completely missed.

I pay the few dollars and run a legal copy on my windows laptop and even on the windows boot of my MacBook Pro.

:bananacock: :bananacock:

I stopped using Norton products several years ago. Right now I use McAffee and spybot.

I said Cha Cha Heels... Black Ones!!!
    I have tried them all and AVAST is by far the best. It take up very little resources. Norton is such a pig when it comes to system resources.
    Chris
    chris@buzzwest.com

BuzzWestCash - Featuring The Hottest Military Men On The Net

Refer an Affiliate and Earn 10% On All Of Their Sales - Sign Up Today!

CamCruise
    If you had a Mac you would need any of that stuff

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    AVG Free

i like avast and recommend it. i also recently gave zone alarm a try and damn if it didn't find something other programs had missed.

norton was a nightmare. i don't miss it at all!

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    I dropped norton about five years ago and been using avira ever since. nice side effect is that i still can use it now since my laptop is a 100% microsoft free environment.

http://www.freeav.com/

Richard Craver
    inertia has been the problem for me..... i started with norton and have stuck with it....
    but saying it's a resource hog is like saying the sun rises in the east

time for a change... avast looks good!

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CamCruise View Post
    If you had a Mac you would need any of that stuff
    That's what I found out. Is Microsoft good for ANYTHING anymore?

flashfreak
    norton antivirus turns your PC into a toaster.

I recommend nod32

Andrew@MAP

Now no reason 'not' to get a Mac - they're 2 in 1! :)

Hey,

I gave up with Norton (and PC's) in November last year. I'd already had viruses and spyware get through both Norton and Spybot, and I was fed up with having to delete loads of crap from my computer, and reinstall programs after spyware had messed up my registry. Yuck!

However, I was raised on PC's (I still remember the old MS DOS commands) so I wasn't going to just throw all that away and invest a lot of dosh in a new untested computer and operating system.

Until, that is,the new intel based Macs came out.. Which allow you to install Windows on a partition and run the Mac as a high spec PC by selecting which operating system you want to access on system start up. What's even better, is from the Mac side (OS X) you can read files on the PC partition.

So I figured, well if I hate this new Mac OS X thing I can stick to the Windows. Well you can guess the rest... I had Windows on my Mac for about 2 weeks, realised I'd not gone back to it once, and deleted the partition.

Seriously - if you have programs that run only on Windows or loads of old software, get a new intel Mac - you can still run them on the Windows partition. 2 in 1 for the price of a single computer - doesn't get much better than that

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flashfreak View Post
    norton antivirus turns your PC into a toaster.
    Oh I wish my PC became something as useful as a toaster after norton.