Thread: branding movies with url in the memberarea ?

Looking for content ;)

branding movies with url in the memberarea ?

I was debating with a friend over icq about weather or not to brand downloadable and streaming movie with urls...

my point was that:
    since the movies will be ripped and posted on boards/blogs/torrents/p2p why not brand them with the url of the site so people viewing the clips illegally will know where to go and look at updates, hell a few of them might join to see the newest title etc..

his point was that:
    people would get pissed having movies branded with an url when they paid for the access to view them and would feel it "damaged" the movie and viewing experience..

so my question is: what do you do on your movies and if you where starting a program from scratch would you brand them with your url or not ?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    No i wouldnt, unless you were planning on only using them in association with 1 site through your CMS.

By branding them, any other sites you launch with that content (unless you re-brand them for the new site) is going to appear (to the surfer) like you are using stolen content from another site.

By not branding them, you only have to encode them once and you can use them on a multitude of sites without having to go back each time and re-brand the watermarks for each individual site.

Regards,

Lee

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    I was debating with a friend over icq about weather or not to brand downloadable and streaming movie with urls...

my point was that:
    since the movies will be ripped and posted on boards/blogs/torrents/p2p why not brand them with the url of the site so people viewing the clips illegally will know where to go and look at updates, hell a few of them might join to see the newest title etc..

his point was that:
    people would get pissed having movies branded with an url when they paid for the access to view them and would feel it "damaged" the movie and viewing experience..

so my question is: what do you do on your movies and if you where starting a program from scratch would you brand them with your url or not ?
    we brand everything in all places and at all times - we even wear branded hats and t-shirts around town - all roads lead to Rome in the DeAngelo household...

not to do so, is giving away the goose (and insane)

Looking for content ;)
    Lee, you raise a good point as always but in this case its not so important as they are for this one site only.. probably should have said so in my first post but didnt even think about that as an issue to consider to be honest..

I asked the same question over at GFY and everyone there wants to brand the hell out of the movies - so unless anyone can get a very good point across to why not to brand i think branding is the correct option..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Lee, you raise a good point as always but in this case its not so important as they are for this one site only.. probably should have said so in my first post but didnt even think about that as an issue to consider to be honest..

I asked the same question over at GFY and everyone there wants to brand the hell out of the movies - so unless anyone can get a very good point across to why not to brand i think branding is the correct option..
    Well if you are only ever going to have 1 site then yes brand the hell out of them

But, if you *think* you may launch a new site a year or so down the line where you may want to re-use the movie content you already have, there are other options that can be considered such as putting a layered image over the movie in the members area.

Regards,

Lee

Looking for content ;)
    ok, so sticking with the idea of only doing 1 site - does it make any difference if you only plan on offering the movies as streams and now downloadables ?

on a off note it always amazes me how much more qualified an answer you get when asking on a small board compared to GFY... so thank you for that guys..

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We brand everything, and for now, there's rarely much overlap on scenes we use on different sites.

If I knew I was going to use content on multiple sites, it wouldn't be that much effort to simply re-encode the videos with a different watermark for each site. The encoding process is batch driven and fully automated, so we could just set up the videos to be encoded for the new site and let the computer rip away till they're done in a day or two.

Xstr8guy
    I overlay a url on our movies but I fade it in and out so the url graphic is not onscreen during the entire movie. The graphic is only onscreen for about 25% of the movie and never during the cumshots. As a member of a paysite myself, I despise when a graphic obscures the action.

delobucks
    I'm using a layered watermark on our flash version of the video content and a watermark on our free pictures.

I think it the normal industry standard and a easy way to get more traffic, if the content is illegaly posted to IRC, Usenet or other systems.

Baghdad Bob
    i dont like seeing logos on movies or pictures when i join a site it makes it look rubbish especialy when the logo is in the middle of the pic

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    I overlay a url on our movies but I fade it in and out so the url graphic is not onscreen during the entire movie. The graphic is only onscreen for about 25% of the movie and never during the cumshots. As a member of a paysite myself, I despise when a graphic obscures the action.
    Great idea!

delobucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Thats pretty good, our download versions do the same but only 5 seconds at the beginning and the end of a video.