Thread: Producers / Shooters - Question On Model Names And Domains

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Producers / Shooters - Question On Model Names And Domains

Those of you that produce your own content or shoot content for others, when a model (that is somewhat recognized) comes to you for a shoot, or if you have a model that is exclusive to you, do you register their domain name and use that for traffic generation?

Im wondering what the legalities of this would be in terms of registering a models name and redirecting that domain name to a site that featured content of the model or a page that featured DVDs of that specific model?

Your thoughts on this please?

Regards,

Lee

CamCruise
    You could do that with the models permission.
    But we have been told that model has the rite to his dot com name if he wants it.
    So you could lose that traffic if he asks for his name.com back.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    If the model comes to you and already has an established name, that name belongs to the model. In order to use it as a domain name, and not take the risk of having to give it up some time in the future, you will need another written agreement giving you the rights to it for a domain name into perpetuity.

If he is a new model and you create the stage name, assuming you have it properly written in your model agreement, you then, not the model, owns the name. In that case you can use it for whatever purpose you choose.

Bill

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    if you own your name - I own my name - then you own the rights to your own name.com - as a matter of fact... our attorney is moving in on the unauthorized use of AnthonyDeAngelo.com right now - even as I write...

I need to clear out that site and add my own with my own "correct" and factual information - the stuff there now, is incorrect and not supportive of my position in the community...

Baghdad Bob
    i think a lot of people have registered model names and sent traffic to the persons site with no problems

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    The other side of this scenario is when the Studio gives the model his name, creates the name under contract between the model and the studio, as an exclusive arrangement, with agreement that the model will not work, or work under than stage name, for any other entity.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
    The other side of this scenario is when the Studio gives the model his name, creates the name under contract between the model and the studio, as an exclusive arrangement, with agreement that the model will not work, or work under than stage name, for any other entity.
    Nick,

That is what I was trying to say in my post. If the studio creates the name for a new model, and the model agreement is properly worded that the studio owns the name and the model may not use that name when working for other studios, then the model does not own that name and cannot use it when he works for a different studio.

Bill

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    It is very easy to write into a model release the use of the stage name -- but very few producers take the time to do it. If you have that in your model release, then register away! If it is not in the model release, then get it in writing before you register, even if the model never used that name before your shoot. The rights are not cut and dried unless you have it in writing!
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!