Thread: Google - Page Rank

southernexposure

Google - Page Rank

The Page Rank on the google search bar.
    If your site is listed in google will the page rank status bar show some green atleast?

Just wonder how that worked... I do a search on google for sites that link to mine but how can you tell if your site is listed..???

:baby:

AmazingGlass
    "If your site is listed in google will the page rank status bar show some green atleast?"

NO, it will not.

To check if your site is listed in google, just go to google.com and do a search for http://www.mydomain.com

If you get a result with your listing, then you are in. If you have other questions, send me a PM.

desslock

Re: Google - Page Rank

Originally posted by southernexposure
    If your site is listed in google will the page rank status bar show some green atleast?

Just wonder how that worked... I do a search on google for sites that link to mine but how can you tell if your site is listed..???
    1) Not necessarily. Page rank in the google toolbar is a logarithmic function from 0 to 10. As your page rank rises, it gets progressively more difficult to reach the next value.

2) How do you see the sites that link to yours? In the Google toolbar, just look at "Backward Links" --- now I believe that the only links that it will show are from pahes with a Page Rank of 3 or 4. If a page with a PR of 1 links to you, it won't appear.

Steve

I have read a few articles recently that say google's page rank is dead, they are no longer using it to accurately reflect a sites true relevancy...so don't worry about it!

cheers,
    Luke

AmazingGlass
    Chilihost,

Those articles are full of it. Most of them just write crap like that so you think they have some 'inside knowledge' so you will hire their services. Don't believe the hype.

ooh, insider info...I love it! Any other info you want to share with me? you can PM me if you want to keep it a secret between us

cheers,
    Luke

desslock
    As someone who has forfeited a life recently to the geeky study google workings: as far as I know the Google Page Rank is still relevent.

Remember that it is simply a score showing an accumulation of your page's backward links. Your page could have a score of 3, and rank first - or it could have a rank of 7 and appear first. It depends on the search term and what other webpages you are competing against.

Or to state from experience - getting ranked high on the term "Leo Ford" is pretty darn easy.

Getting a top ranking on the term "Fiestaware" --- or something with a lot of big webpages out there jostling ------uuuuuuuuuuugh :boom: :boom: :boom:

Steve

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    IMHO PageRank is very over-rated.

Speaking from experience, i have had undeveloped domain names with nothing but a place holder page with title and meta tags appear at #1 for a variety of related search terms.

When some of these so-called SEO experts were shown the pages the only way they could explain it was that i was using a cloaking script.

Regards,

Lee