Thread: "Alt Image Tags" ???

southernexposure

"Alt Image Tags" ???

Is it considered spamming SE's if you use more than one word in the images "Alt" tags?
    Say you have a splash entry with tabled image map with your sites description and contents, you add the same text to the images "Alt" tags. And you are also writing a text description under the entry splash explaing the same thing.

Hope that explains my question??

:groovy:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Actually no it isnt... to a point.

Alt Tags were actually developed so that those who had poor eyesight or were blind could use the internet.

Basically, the idea behind them was that some software package (the Stephen Hawkins voice ones) would 'read' the web page to a blind surfer thus the Alt Tags would have text in them and, when mouseovered, the surfer would 'hear' what the image and link was for

Just make sure you keep your alt text relevant thats all

Regards,

Lee

AmazingGlass
    perfect response Lee.

Search engines look at your text first, then the alt tags are used next. The alt tages are nowhere as important as your text, but must be relevant to the picture they describe as Lee stated. don't be too worried about spam when it comes to alt tags. just don't write sentences with multiple keywords stuffed in.

agree, keep alt tags to 2 or 3 keywords about the site that are related to the link and you will be fine.

cheers,
    Luke

southernexposure
    I used a free meta tag program the other day and it said my site (the way it is now) has about 70% keyword to content relevance. I'm not sure but before I started adding in the meta tags, and writing a description for it, I'm sure it had none.

I wished one of you would take a look at it and tell me what could be changed. I am not asking you for your key words, just advice on the layout and placement of things..

I'm not going to put my URL on the forum so if you want to give me some help, PM me and I'll send you the URL.

Thanks in Advance.