Thread: 1mbps vs 5mbps server questions....

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar

1mbps vs 5mbps server questions....

I don't really know much about servers, at all... I currently have a 1mpbs server, but I have been recently offered a GREAT deal to bump up to 5mbps. What are some things that I would notice with the increase in speed?
    ICQ# 200-385-093

hopefully nothing. this won't make your site faster if you're not using more bandwidth than can be used with 1mbps. 5 mbps over 1 mbps will allow you more bandwidth. 1 mbps is not very much - figure the best you can squeeze out of it is 280 per month, and probably not that before you overload it and things slow down. 5 mbps will allow you over 1000 gig of bandwidth per month.

just remember to check out your potential host and server - a host who is down a lot won't make you more money and a lesser server could also mess you up.

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    hopefully nothing. this won't make your site faster if you're not using more bandwidth than can be used with 1mbps. 5 mbps over 1 mbps will allow you more bandwidth. 1 mbps is not very much - figure the best you can squeeze out of it is 280 per month, and probably not that before you overload it and things slow down. 5 mbps will allow you over 1000 gig of bandwidth per month.

just remember to check out your potential host and server - a host who is down a lot won't make you more money and a lesser server could also mess you up.
    I think we use the same host :thumbsup:
    ICQ# 200-385-093

if you are capped at 1mbps and you are pushing your cap then you will see an improvement in your speed and loadtimes. Also, if you are on a shared 100mbps segment with 99 other servers and your host moves you to a less-busy segment then you will likely see a speed increase too. Of course, overselling is a trick that nasty hosts play to try to cut their costs.

Otherwise the difference is strictly the amount of bandwidth per month that you can use.