Thread: do you do your own computer repairs / builds?

do you do your own computer repairs / builds?

do you do your own computer repairs / builds? or do you let the pros handle it?

I actually build my own systems. And this from a gal who was terrified to turn one on back in 1989!

man2man
    I buy bare systems with the specs I want minimally and then work from there, do upgrades etc. myself. If you shop around you can create monster systems for a fraction of the price of what you would have to pay for a 'complete' system that still leaves you wanting more.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We have a large collection of pieces floating around (cases, power supplies, video boards, RAM, etc.). Usually, when it's time to build up a new machine, we buy a new motherboard and processor, and we usually have at least some of the other stuff (video, ram, hard drive, case etc) or an old machine we can retire.

I generally go top shelf on motherboards, power supplies, and RAM because I learned long ago that the janky $50 Fry's special motherboard, or the bargain Yun Ho Fluk brand power supply for $15 (when a good one costs $75) nearly always results in an unreliable machine.

If I build up a machine, I know exactly what's in it and if something breaks, where the problem likely is. If I buy a Dell, I have no idea what motherboard, RAM, or power supply is in there, and it probably, in any case, isn't the same top shelf stuff as if I go and research and pick it out myself.

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    I don't build them, but I repair and add components.

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    i build em myself, Gaybucks Chip hit the nail on the head with his post.

these are the 2 racks we have at the orlando house

Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com