Thread: Anyone here own brick/mortar adult store?

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar

Anyone here own brick/mortar adult store?

I am interested to see if anyone here owns one. I want a brick/mortar store, and thought an adult store would be great!
    ICQ# 200-385-093

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Everything I've heard is that bricks-and-mortar adult stores are dying rapidly.

The distributors all say both the big chains and the indy stores are closing rapidly, the ones that are still open see sales down substantially.

I think between the increased regulatory/zoning crap that's going on all over the country and the proliferation of excellent deals on online stores (which have little to no overhead), it's a tough thing to compete with.

Now... perhaps if you made a unique boutique sort of place that had an appeal to bring people in, something they couldn't get online, you might have something.

How long have you been gay?
    I don't own a brick & mortar store but sell to 100's. Sales have always been slow due to their high markup, over 10,000%. The store we sell to make all their money on the video booths! One store has 25 booths and they tell me the avg take is $20/hour. These are 2 man booths and all play gay footage except for 2 which plays str8.

Working hard to dominate the gay adult industry. JamesXR's Avatar
    My understanding is that Condom Revolution was pulling down a couple million a year in sales through their tiny Orange County retail locations. I think there's a lot to be said for physical locations. Lots of people want to physically see and feel products before they buy them. We're all online, but essentially that puts us right next door to all of our competitors. We're vicious, so that's okay, but I wouldn't want to enter the market against us. That said, you basically have a little fiefdom over the surrounding physical area when you have a retail location. I think you just have to be tough enough to stick with it and fight off all the groups that want you to leave. Heck, you're in Pismo, look at Diamond Adult World. All those locations didn't open because they were unprofitable.
    Good luck, and if you need anything kinky, just look me up. We wholesale all of that.
    JamesXR
    Affiliate Relations for www.BoyZShop.com
    Yes, I do have what you're looking for.

Making Pain Pay!
    Dean,
    I always wanted a brick and mortor adult store too, but where I live the regulations for zoning alone gave me a fucking headache so I ditched the idea.

I think they could still be very profitable. A friend of mine owns two of them in Wyoming of all places, and does very well. Especially with the booths...being so close to Warren Airforce Base.

Good luck. Let me know if you do it and I will come for the grand opening!

- Michael
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

Sorry I'm Strait, but I was Born This Way! Rob Ragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesXR View Post
    My understanding is that Condom Revolution was pulling down a couple million a year in sales through their tiny Orange County retail locations. I think there's a lot to be said for physical locations. Lots of people want to physically see and feel products before they buy them. We're all online, but essentially that puts us right next door to all of our competitors. We're vicious, so that's okay, but I wouldn't want to enter the market against us. That said, you basically have a little fiefdom over the surrounding physical area when you have a retail location. I think you just have to be tough enough to stick with it and fight off all the groups that want you to leave. Heck, you're in Pismo, look at Diamond Adult World. All those locations didn't open because they were unprofitable.
    Good luck, and if you need anything kinky, just look me up. We wholesale all of that.
    ConRev is part of a 32 store chain called Pee-Kay Inc in Auburn Washington. They are one of the biggest and highest grossing store chains in the country. My wife and I own a very small store in Lewiston Maine called The Treasure Chest III. We are an independently owned part of a 3 store family owned chain up there. Our store is the lowest grossing of the 3. Her aunt and Uncle own the 1 in Portland Maine. That store is about the size of most couples master bedrooms and it grosses just under 2 million a year. Owning a Brick and Mortar store is very fun...if you can deal with the actual people that buy and rent the things we all film. I do suggest that you have the widest variety of adult materials available though. Chip is correct about the zoning issues tightening up,but if you only have 20% or less actual adult films and or mags it's much easier to get a zoning permit. I say if you have the $ to invest and properly promote it. Have the financial stability to withstand a year or 2 in the red..then go for it. it can be a real hoot!. Just make damn good and sure that you have real good cameras on your employees. especially the manager. sometimes they think they own the store and some of the cash mysteriously misses the cash register and get re-routed into their pockets:bananacock:
    R.J.Ragan
    All Boys Distribution
    www.allboysdistribution.com
    AIM:raganabdist
    1-877-5-ALLBOY