Thread: Writing single layer dvds on a PC

I Want To See Bradleys 'B-Unit' deanb's Avatar

Writing single layer dvds on a PC

I am trying to write some single layer DVD's on a PC that are full quality. I use Pinnacle, but can purchase another software. I have just been making Dual layer ones previously, but really need full quality single layers. Anyone know an easy way to do this?
    ICQ# 200-385-093

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I'm confused.

Can't the software you're using to write two-layer discs also write one-layer discs?

Or is there a different problem?

The only difference between DVD-5 and DVD-9 is that -9 is two layers, allowing about 70% more content. The quality of what you can write to either format is identical, it's just the quantity that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I'm confused.

Can't the software you're using to write two-layer discs also write one-layer discs?

Or is there a different problem?

The only difference between DVD-5 and DVD-9 is that -9 is two layers, allowing about 70% more content. The quality of what you can write to either format is identical, it's just the quantity that's different.
    It will write the single layer discs, but it looses quality, the compression is wrong on it. Like dual layer it will be at 100% quality, and then on single layer it will do only 60%... when viewing the single layer on tv, the quality sucks. I need to get a full length (95 minute) dvd on one single layer disk.
    ICQ# 200-385-093

bump bump
    ICQ# 200-385-093

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    If the source material is large, it may not be possible to get it to a single layer without compromising quality. On average, you can fit between 60 and 90 minutes of reasonably decent quality MPEG content, encoded at between 4000 and 5000 Kbps, on a DVD-5, about 60% more than that if you use DVD-9. But compression rate will always vary based on the type of content, how busy the background is, how much movement, etc.

So it seems more likely that your software is having to overcompress the content, or perhaps there is a default bitrate that's too low. It doesn't make any sense that it would do well burning 2 layer discs but not single layer. I'd check your settings and see if you can find something there.

Other than that, we use Encore DVD, which is spendy, but very flexible and a good tool for assembling and burning DVDs and disc images.