Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The What to Charge Dilemma

The What to Charge Dilemma

I was just talking with Harlan about things that go into the decision making process of whether or not to launch a particular site, and one of the items included figuring out your expenses to both launch and maintain a site, and then the price you have to charge to make it a profitable venture.

I'd like to hear just what things you bring into that "formula" to arrive at a price point.

We tested a few different levels and decided that 29.95 was the way to go. I highly recommend you test levels before you set your price too!

Xstr8guy
    This may sound too simplistic, but I think the easiest way to decide what to charge is look at your major competitors. What are they charging? Does your site offer more or something better?

So is everyone just charging according to what similar sites do?

I'd think there'd be some stuff like, I spent this much to launch, will be spending xx amount to update for a year, and doing some calculations on the membership figures, rebills, affiliate payout %, processor fees, hosting and so on to get some estimate of when you'd actually turn a profit using different membership prices.

Teaser
    I think its important to check out the competitors, see what they have to offer, and if your content and updates match then match point or a bit cheaper, also ad in your monthly expenses and roll that into the dice too

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I charge for memberships based on how much *I* want to make from the site in question in the space of a year.

I broke even on Condom Cash within the first 3 months using this method of setting the price points up.

Regards,

Lee

Teaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I charge for memberships based on how much *I* want to make from the site in question in the space of a year.

I broke even on Condom Cash within the first 3 months using this method of setting the price points up.

Regards,

Lee
    Did you include expenses or how did you boil it down to what you wanted to make? Was that gross or net?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaser View Post
    Did you include expenses or how did you boil it down to what you wanted to make? Was that gross or net?
    Anything i made over the cost of design and Visa processing was pure profit.

Regards,

Lee

Teaser
    I'm assuming you added in content charges as well.

Pure profit is a word I love to hear over and over as I head to the bank I'm sure you do as well *eg*

Quote Originally Posted by Teaser View Post
    I'm assuming you added in content charges as well.
    The content paid for itself when it was first purchased, therefore that wasnt added in to the equation because i already owned it at the time of launching the sites.

Obviously since then there has been new sets/movies added but still, two members and that content is paid for for the next update

Regards,

Lee

Teaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The content paid for itself when it was first purchased, therefore that wasnt added in to the equation because i already owned it at the time of launching the sites.

Obviously since then there has been new sets/movies added but still, two members and that content is paid for for the next update

Regards,

Lee
    Ahhh ok. I get it now.
    Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way honestly.
    I can see the forumlar now, thanks for the insight!

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    We looked at what similar sites we charging, determined to do it better, offer more and charge a slightly higher price. We then caculated the set up costs, content costs and amortized these costs out over two years. A substanial cash investment made it all happen. It seems that there are at least two very different game plans for exclusive sites and non-exclusive content sites. My research says the niche and competition somewhat determine what the market will carry. I have been told more then once to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, but fresh approaches are certainly paying off here. We are seeing direct responses from our competition. They are making substantial changes for the first time in a long time. Sites are being redesigned, content is being upgraded and new markets are being sought out. Competition is a good thing for the best sites and for the customer. It is also the death of sites that take advantage of the customer. Every market needs fresh blood. Work a business plan, establish the budgets needed to meet your goals and then you can determine if the standard market costs will allow you to get where you want to be in an acceptable time. If they will, then its GO FOR LAUNCH!

I was a customer long before I was a site owner.

Teaser
    Thanks Alex, I really liked how you broke that down!
    I love to hear how things are broken down and what people are thinking great thread Bec. I'm learning a lot from the people here!

I have been told more then once to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, but fresh approaches are certainly paying off here. We are seeing direct responses from our competition. They are making substantial changes for the first time in a long time. Sites are being redesigned, content is being upgraded and new markets are being sought out. Competition is a good thing for the best sites and for the customer. It is also the death of sites that take advantage of the customer. Every market needs fresh blood.
    I totally agree with that. I'm seeing the same thing with sites that have been around for years where they're finally taking notice that they need to redo their designs, clean up the content, and stop screwing the members once they're inside the site with tons of upsells and very little content.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    So is everyone just charging according to what similar sites do?

I'd think there'd be some stuff like, I spent this much to launch, will be spending xx amount to update for a year, and doing some calculations on the membership figures, rebills, affiliate payout %, processor fees, hosting and so on to get some estimate of when you'd actually turn a profit using different membership prices.
    Well, you could always charge much more to quickly earn back your investment. But that is assuming that you will get as many joins/rebills charging $50 than you would at $25.

If you can buy a loaf of bread for a dollar at Bob's Supermarket or pay $2 for the same bread in a different package at Sam's Grocery, which one are you going to buy?

Sure, your content may be better or you update twice as often as you main competitors, but being able to charge a huge premium over the usual price is going to be tough. Finding the point at which sales start to drop as the price goes up... that's the magic bullet!