Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: site resolution - we're taking the plunge!

site resolution - we're taking the plunge!

after being known worldwide as patti, the defender of 800x600 tours, this may come as a shock to some. but we're making a second tour for man of muscle - a reality tour - and we're going for the gusto: this tour will be designed for 1024x768! we may leave some of the 10 - 11% of users with 800x600 behind, but my guess is they're used to scrolling sideways. in any event, we'll be keeping the old tour up for affiliates who prefer to use it, but i wanted to fill the screen for 1024 users - the tour looks so damned good that way!

who else here has made the plunge or is making the change to 1024 on their sites?

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise.
    We change to 1024 about a year ago. The number of folks that were using it said it was the way to go. Funny, now our membership has gone to even LARGER monitors in the majority.

Good for you!!

The sooner we can get rid of all the 800x600 monitors the better... and with a 1024 LCD being only $150-400 bucks these days... it won't be long.

Can't wait to see the new design Patti

Domain inventory sale.

Good for you!!! And based on the sneak peeks I got - I think it'll do excellent for you ... can't wait to see the redesign when it's all done.

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Personally I say Fuck It...

I think that those who are willing to take out a credit card and buy a membership to a PRON site probably have better equipment than "Mr and Mrs" Normal Mid=western asshole...who will NOT buy a membership with their 1997 monitor!!

Hello to the new age!!

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We are definitely going minimum 1024x768, and possibly multiple (higher) resolution on the next incarnation of our CMS, which will coincide with a redesign of our sites.

I think the gay adult online market falls into two categories: Elmo from Duck Butt, NC, who is 60 years old and has AOL dialup and a 15" 800x600 display (or even worse, WebTV), and Bradley in Atlanta, the modern techo-competent gay who probably has at least 1280x1024 (or whatever the new widescreen equivalent is) and DSL or cable.

At a certain point, you can't continue to design your primary site for the lowest common denominator. We are looking at the logistics of supporting two different resolutions in our CMS, and if we can do it in a way that will require minimal upkeep, we will do it, so that we *can* keep Elmo happy... but that turns out not to be feasible, we would rather delight 90% of the potential customers than provide a ho-hum solution for the 90% so that Elmo can still get off on his antique system.

Think big. Shoot hard.
    Basschick,

Great to see you are taking the plunge.

Only advice I have for those moving to greater than 800 is to keep critical elements visible within those 800 pixels. Like join buttons etc. Like designing above the fold for those on widescreen laptops.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Patti knows best...

there's no question 'bout that!

I've used 1024 for some time now. Monitors are dirt cheap.

yes, but certain kinds of people don't buy them - not because they can't afford them but because their old ones work. i know older people who think like this.

Quote Originally Posted by krunnch View Post
    I've used 1024 for some time now. Monitors are dirt cheap.

Well I'm not worried about them. I have heard no complaints.

well, one rarely does - that doesn't mean there aren't issues. a medium sized str8 program i know of put up a new site and not one of the videos worked, and they didn't hear from a single member - the first person who told them was a reviewer.

we had a bad clip in a member area once and no one told us till i got time to go through all the clips that week.

Quote Originally Posted by krunnch View Post
    Well I'm not worried about them. I have heard no complaints.

I'd rather be whole, than good
    We're still in the process of doing ours - 2 paysites from 8 are still a WIP and both cart sites have been widened.

It's been a massive job with no apparent difference in sales resulting from it.

Which is both good and bad I guess.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer that's for sure.

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar
    As both a surfer and a wm, I prefer 1024. Hope it works out and your members like it

--Chubbs

Working hard to dominate the gay adult industry. JamesXR's Avatar
    Anyone mind if I ask a personal question here? Does anyone have stats that discriminate between their tour traffic and member's area traffic? Can anyone see what the breakdown is for for resolutions on the outside and what it is for the inside. That would give a really good idea of what resolutions buy more. If, for example 1280x1024 and up were converting at three times the rate of 1024x768, wouldn't that skew up the size of website you design for.
    What about wide screens? I'm seeing more and more widescreens. Do you get penalized for putting nonessentials like pictures on the right of the page where smaller screens will cut part of them off, but wider screens will see them?
    Or is it possible that nobody wants to share these secrets to their success?
    JamesXR
    Affiliate Relations for www.BoyZShop.com
    Yes, I do have what you're looking for.