Thread: IRS Check Shakedown

IRS Check Shakedown

Last night I'm sitting here working, and I hear a car pull into my driveway. The horn starts and I figure it's someone to pick up my neighbor who doesn't drive. Well, the honking doesn't stop, so I go to the door and these 2 guys (about 19-20 maybe) start asking if my wife, saying her full name... lives here.

Now my first thought is something has happened, so there's an immediate adrenalin rush. And I keep asking why there here, and why they want to know if this is her address. Finally, we get down to the following:

A so called "friend" of theirs has gotten Che's IRS refund check delivered to his house by mistake. Supposedly this "friend" is a crackhead looking dude and he was afraid if he came knocking on our door, we'd call the cops. So these guys "volunteered" to come over here and see if the check belonged to us. Now mind you, they know her name, our address and the exact amount of the refund!

And they want to know if there is a reward for "finding" the check ...

I said I didn't know the check was "lost" or that there would be a reward for a piece of mail delivered to the wrong house, and that the friend should of returned it to the mailman or taken it down to the post office and turned it in. Mind you, this guy is probably on the block behind us and so is the post office!

At this point - just opening the mail is 25 years in jail ... and that's before the IRS jumps into the fray ... and god help em if they try to cash it.

Still shakin my head ... can you say, DUH???

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Thats just crazy :eek:

You should have called the cops anyway and told them two guys just told you that one of your neighbors was a crackhead LOL

Regards,

Lee

Actually, we've made two calls to the IRS -- and their computers are down (can you say the IRS probably has a virus?), so they aren't much help yet. They did recommend calling the cops, but I'm not sure how that helps since I can't really give them much information.

We did call the PostMaster General -- took em awhile to stop laughing before they finally took our information ....

Amber C
    Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1
    Actually, we've made two calls to the IRS -- and their computers are down (can you say the IRS probably has a virus?), so they aren't much help yet. They did recommend calling the cops, but I'm not sure how that helps since I can't really give them much information.

We did call the PostMaster General -- took em awhile to stop laughing before they finally took our information ....
    So the guys didn't give you the check they claimed to have? Well if not, then that is just dumb if you ask me. I hope that you girls can get this cleared out really fast without the hassels of the neighborhood boys. Good luck with all of that hun.

that is kinda scary. good luck getting this resolved.

cheers,
    Luke

Kath
    What a bunch of morons... so sorry that happened to you - all that mess, I would have been a wreck wondering what they were up to until they finally spit it out. And then finding out... wondering what they will do with the check. Bunch of idiots.

I hope they send the check and everything gets straightened out. How frustrating! :boom:

MacDaddy
    That is really scary... I hope it all works out and you've heard the last of them. There is no question that they gots no smarts! :wacko:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Talk about a made for TV movie in the making. I can so see this on Life Time.

I am so sorry that happend to you! Seems that bad things always happen to good people.
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

Yea -- we sure didn't need this hassel, and of course the money is now in limbo ...:crybaby:

Bell
    wow...

sorry this is happening to you...

they still have the check ??

if I were you...

this is what I'd do next:

talk to my mail carrier - - - the specific on that
    should have delievered it to YOUR house...

drive the neighborhood looking for the car and boys...

take a camera with you...

if you see them - photograph them
    if you see the car - photograph it

re-call the Postmaser General and ask how are they
    following up on the report that you made

go into the postoffice that your mail carrier works from
    and ask for the person in charge and don't tell them
    you made a report already with the postmaster general
    and make a report there at the local

did you get the license plate on the car when they left your
    driveway ??

what was the last thing they said to you as they were leaving ??

what did they say to you when you mentioned the 25 year prison
    sentence ??

talk with neighbors...
    they may be pulling this on more than one person in
    the neighborhood... they may be watching the mailboxes...

keep a camera with you when out and about in your neighborhood
    you never know when you might see them...

and - if the IRS tells you that the check was issued
    have them put a stop on it and reissue it certified mail

it will cost you extra - that's your call on whether the
    refund was for an amount worth this step

I doubt they'd be able to cash an IRS check anywhere
    without proper ID

shred all paperwork and mail going out to the garbage
    from now on - so they don't get any pieces they might
    need to use as ID verification... especially envelopes
    with her name and address on them such as utility bills
    or phone bills - - - some places will accept those as
    proof of identity to cash checks...