Thread: Do You Always Get PSD Files?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Do You Always Get PSD Files?

When you have a designer do some work for you, do you always ask for the .PSD files that accompany the work?

Have you ever had a problem with a designer handing over the source files?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We always make it clear in the initial negotiation that we want to own all source images, assets, and files, as well as all copyright and rights of use.

It isn't so common in adult, but in commercial graphic design, some designers still cling to the outdated notion that they retain rights to source files and copyright to the design, so we always clarify that up front so there are no misunderstandings. If the designer balks, we just go elsewhere.

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    When I do design work I provide everything to the client, they paid for it, they own it. I would have second thoughts dealing with any designer that would not so the same.

Andrew
    we always provide psd files for all designs we do

I don't understand designers that do anything else :hmm:

Gay is the new Black
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    It isn't so common in adult, but in commercial graphic design, some designers still cling to the outdated notion that they retain rights to source files and copyright to the design, so we always clarify that up front so there are no misunderstandings. If the designer balks, we just go elsewhere.
    This is what a contract is for.

When doing freelance design, I ALWAYS retain the original copyright but it is stated in the contract, my limited use of the material. namely, to have the ability to showcase the work in a portfolio and in a portfolio ONLY!

It is also stated in the contract, the cost of a limited license, right of use and a total copyright ownership fee.

Simply having something designed for you doesn't mean you paid for the ownership of work. Just a commercial right to use it. (apposed to a resellers right)