Thread: My 1st Snub

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar

My 1st Snub

I have been in the biz. since 2004 and today was the 1st time someone would not do biz. with me because of it. Called a bookkeeper this afternoon to make an appointment for him to come by and set up quickbooks for my s-corp. Explained my situation and made it very clear that I ran adult websites. Asked if it was going to be a problem and dude said "it's not something I approve of so I'll come by and start to set you up and if it's an issue, I'll leave and won't charge you". I said okay and that was that.

About 10 minutes later dude calls me back saying he has had time to think about it and he does not want to deal with me because of the industry I do business in. I told him I understood and hung up. More I think about it, the more I am getting mad. Fuck him. His loss.

--Chubbs

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I wouldn't say "fuck him", even to yourself. If you think about it, a lot of people are nervous/embarrassed/afraid of issues surrounding sex, and our industry is most definitely still in the fringe. Less than 10 years ago, but still there.

I am never offended when a company says they aren't comfortable doing business with an adult company. Part of it may be prejudice, but part of it may be secondhand prejudice; for example, the accountant might have churches or schools or something and (legitimately) feel like it might cause him problems if it came out that he was working for you.

Now... if I've disclosed things up front and a company agrees to do something and flakes halfway through or after I've made a time or energy investment in them, THEN I'm pissed, because that's a case of full disclosure, acceptance of the offer, and then ditching out on the project, and that isn't cool.

When I approach a company where I think it might be an issue, I did just as you did. If they call back the next day after they've thought about it (and it isn't something vitally time critical), I really don't have any major objection.

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I wouldn't say "fuck him", even to yourself. If you think about it, a lot of people are nervous/embarrassed/afraid of issues surrounding sex, and our industry is most definitely still in the fringe. Less than 10 years ago, but still there.

I am never offended when a company says they aren't comfortable doing business with an adult company. Part of it may be prejudice, but part of it may be secondhand prejudice; for example, the accountant might have churches or schools or something and (legitimately) feel like it might cause him problems if it came out that he was working for you.

Now... if I've disclosed things up front and a company agrees to do something and flakes halfway through or after I've made a time or energy investment in them, THEN I'm pissed, because that's a case of full disclosure, acceptance of the offer, and then ditching out on the project, and that isn't cool.

When I approach a company where I think it might be an issue, I did just as you did. If they call back the next day after they've thought about it (and it isn't something vitally time critical), I really don't have any major objection.
    I know I know. Is frustrating none the less.

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

others

There are many others that will help...and it is better to find out before then later.

I'm sure there are about 1000 other people in San Fran that can help. If not, pack you bags and laptop and come done here. I have a contact I use that is a great person and reminds me of the short lady from poltergeist that say "all welcome..all welcome".. (that is between us and the 100000 readers).

Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

Quote Originally Posted by steven619 View Post
    There are many others that will help...and it is better to find out before then later.

I'm sure there are about 1000 other people in San Fran that can help. If not, pack you bags and laptop and come done here. I have a contact I use that is a great person and reminds me of the short lady from poltergeist that say "all welcome..all welcome".. (that is between us and the 100000 readers).

I may take you up on that. SD's only 30-40 minutes down the freeway. (I'm in Orange County)

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

quickbooks

She only took a day to get me up and going.

I had her come over once more about a month later to show my month end closing and she always answered her emails with small questions quickly.

I'll be back in the office on Tuesday if you want to call or email me for her contact information.

Her rate was pretty good and she is a detailed person.

Steven
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

I was turned down by 2 or 3 printing companies before I found one that would handle our flyers and biz cards.....

The one I use now loves our business and never has any issue with our copy or images

One of them based in the Valley almost threw me out of their offices!!

each to their own!
    Domain inventory sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmpitLover View Post
    I was turned down by 2 or 3 printing companies before I found one that would handle our flyers and biz cards.....

The one I use now loves our business and never has any issue with our copy or images

One of them based in the Valley almost threw me out of their offices!!

each to their own!
    Yeah you're right. Guess it's better to do biz with someone that will actually value my biz. regardless of my industry.

--Chubbs

I'd rather be whole, than good
    I was declined services from a Las Vegas (of all places) law firm once. I was flabbergasted.